Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Stanley Tucci
My Rating: Thumbs Up!
What an exciting night this was! My first time ever going to a midnight movie premier. I think I could do this more often though it does mess you up for a day or so. It was an absolute blast going with bunch of other crazy book bloggers and their various friends and family. It was a blast being in the theater with an audience where everyone was so excited that it was tangible. I loved that. And they were all appropriately excited. Clapping and cheering through the previews, but calming and shushing each other for the movie itself... than gasping and weeping and laughing at all the right moments during the movie. That was great!
Our crowd met up for dinner beforehand, which was really fun. Penelope of The Reading Fever did an AWESOME job coordinating both the dinner AND the movie, and then even had prizes and fun things for us at the dinner. Penelope, I never had a chance to say a huge thank you last night, but you are truly the best. Thank you so much!
Anyway, having reserved seats for these crazy movie nights is the best way to go. We just walked in and sat down in our wonderful spots and all the stress was gone... only excitement left!
So... about the movie itself.
It was wonderfully done. The casting was phenomenal.. even the dude playing Peeta, ( Josh Hutcherson) who I was a little leery about, did amazing. Jennifer Lawrence captured the spirit of Katniss perfectly. And all the Capitol characters were just right. It was so fun to see it all come to life!
My favorite things:
- the way they were able to show the brutality of the games without too much graphic-ness.
- the intensity at the start of the games... how scared Katniss was.
- the contrast between District 12 and the Capitol
- they way they showed how the directors of the games manipulated the players
- seeing the movie with both blogger buddies and family!
My least favorite bits:
- when I realized that Prim looked just like my youngest daughter! That freaked me out!
- when the audience laughed at Gale's distress at seeing Katniss and Peeta together.
- that fact that I didn't notice the music... was there music?
- and of course, there was that shaky, much movement camera work that made me motion sick! I really didn't like that!
All in all, it was a blast of a night and so very exciting to be part of it all!