Friday, March 2, 2012

Review: Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale

Book: Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale
Genre: Mystery
Rating: ***
For: Fun (Support Local Authors)
From: I bought it from Amazon, and got it signed at Barnes and Noble!

I don't really have a whole lot to say about this book except that it was a lot of fun! It takes place in the same setting as the first book, Austenland, but it's a totally different story with totally different characters. (If there were some cross over characters, I didn't notice mostly because I've forgotten all the characters in the first book!)

In this book we have Charlotte who is mourning the loss of her first marriage. She needs to find herself. She reads Jane Austen and becomes enamored! So she decides to getaway from reality for awhile and immerse herself into all things Austen-ish. She's willing to play the game, including falling in pretend love, and solving the "for fun" mystery.

But then the for fun mystery begins to turn a little too much real! And maybe even the pretend love too!

Ah mysteries. I just don't get them. But I know that many of you love them, and this one was a really simple "cute" one. Cute? Yeah, I can't decide how else to describe it! But it's a mystery and you'll probably figure it out, but that's okay because that's not the point.

The point is the fun witty writing that we all love so much about Shannon Hale and the throw back to all things Jane Austen and the dream of having a few weeks to pretend like we live in this time. That's the point, and I had a blast with that!

Bottom line: Totally enjoyable!

Other Reviews:

Kay's Bookshelf
Library Queue
Book Nut
The Story Girl
Alternate Readality



5 comments:

  1. Yes, I wondered what you'd think of the mystery. I just liked the guy she ended up with. Like, right from the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this one and really enjoyed it too! Although I think I liked the first one a bit better -- this one certainly had a bit of a darker feel to it with all the mystery and midnight stuff. :-) Love her note on your signed copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to reading this at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do want to read this and soon. I love Shannon Hale. Though, unlike her other books, I found AUSTENLAND to be rather forgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one but I just wanted to comment and say that I' jealous that you have a signed copy of a Shannon Hale book! :P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails