Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Looking Back


I'm in a "looking back" sort of mood, so I've consulted my notebooks and can tell you this stuff that I was reading in years past:

June 2002: The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan
June 2003: Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens
June 2004: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
June 2005: Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
June 2006: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
June 2007: I am Legend by Richard Matheson
June 2008: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
June 2009: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

The first few years on this list I only read like 2 or 3 books in the month of June. The last few it was more like 10 or 12. Hmmm..... what changed I wonder?

Another interesting thing, many of these books ended up on my Top Ten for that particular year. Did any of them end up on your Top Ten? June's a good month I guess.

What I'm reading now:

Books I just finished that are still waiting for a review: The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Tuner, Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles and Muffins and Mayhem by Suzanne Beecher.

Books I started but didn't get grabbed by yet: Spells by Aprilynne Pike, The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan, The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan.

Book I'm reading today that DID grab me: Little Bee by Chris Cleave.

Do you remember what you were reading in past summers? Have you been grabbed by a book this June?

7 comments:

  1. Fun! Here is my list of June reads:

    June 2000 - Daisy Miller by Henry James
    June 2001 - Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
    June 2002 - Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang by Joyce Carol Oates
    June 2003 - White Teeth by Zadie Smith
    June 2004 - The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
    June 2005 - Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
    June 2006 - The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart
    June 2007 - What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman

    By June 2008 I had started my blog, so I was reading a lot more.

    All of the above are some of my favorites too, except White Teeth which I liked but didn't love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so much fun! Unfortunately, I don't have any type of list to reference, although I do remember reading The Poisonwood Bible two years ago in June!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snowflower and the Secret Fan made my Top 10 list one year. June is usually a pretty good month for me but August is usually the best. Last year, however, The Count of Monte Cristo took up most of August!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy on a very stormy June camping trip to Astoria, Oregon. It definitely grabbed me because the weather was so fitting for the mood of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a list to reference, but I did read one of my favorite books ever, Pride and Prejudice for the first time in June and I try to reread it every June to pick up something knew from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me wish I still had access to all of my old reading journals. Sadly, they were digital and lost in a computer crash. *sob*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lenore: Loved seeing your list. And only one (Life of Pi) on there that I've read!

    Reviewsbylola: Ah, Poisonwood Bible. A good summer read. I got it for Christmas one year and so read it during the holidays. It worked well then too! :)

    SmallWorld: But did you love it? The Count I mean? We are reading it for book club later this year.

    Emilee: Ohhh... a stormy night reading for The Road. Nice.

    Amongstories: That's very cool. A yearly reading of P and P in June. I love it!

    Andi: Oh, not good! My "old fashioned" notebooks are still a good thing to do it sounds like!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails