Thursday, June 3, 2010

Review: I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells

Book: I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells
Genre: YA Horror
Rating: B+
For: Support Your Local Authors
From: I bought it!

It feels like forever that I've been waiting to read this book. I've been listening to Dan Wells talk about it for several years on his Writing Excuses podcast with Brandon Sanderson. I could have bought it last year from the UK, but decided to wait. Now finally, a few weeks ago, they had at the library event I went to, so I bought it, got it signed, and promptly read it.

Now, as I said before, I didn't really know what to expect. Would it really be that "horror" filled? Would it be funny-ish? Would it be silly? Would it be deeper and more thought provoking than the title implies? I just wasn't sure.

And now that I've read it, I'm still not sure what to think! Yes, there were many "horror" filled moments. There's lots of blood and guts, there's much description about how an autopsy is done (which creeped me out more than anything else frankly!) and there's lots of dead bodies.

No, it was not so much funny-ish. So you see, Dan-in-real-life is very funny. At least from what I've heard on the podcast and seen on the panels. But this book, not so funny. It's about this kid, John,  who has a real serious problem, and he knows it, his mom knows it, so he talks regularly to his shrink. And I'm not sure it's helping him a whole lot. Anyway, this problem he's dealing with is actually quite scary.

Meanwhile, there really is a serial killer on the loose and John feels compelled to stalk and solve. He ends up mixed in the middle of it all and that's when we have those edge-of-your-seat, holding-your-breathe moments. Totally stuff out of the horror movies! Now that's what I'm talking about! :)

But poor John. You know, he totally reminded me of Holden from Catcher in the Rye fame. He needed a friend, a completely and totally understanding friend. But since John refuses to get close to anyone, I'm not sure that's going to happen.

I suppose we'll see since there's more to come! John's whole future is still up in the air. And the book ended with a definite "stay tuned" sort of feeling. The next book, Mr. Monster, is out now in the UK, but as usual, I'll probably wait.

Bottom line: I liked it.

Learn more about Dan Wells here at his blog and website.
And of course, you should listen to his podcast, which link you'll find above!


Other Reviews:

Fantasy Book Critic
Wondrous Reads
Love Reading
Inside a Book
Graham Chops

And here's a very very simple book trailer if you are interested:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails