Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Utah Book Month 2014: First Lines Quiz and Giveaway
It has become a tradition for me to host this first lines quiz from Utah books. Can you guess them? I'll provide the first line and you tell me the book. Anybody can play, whether you are participating in our Utah Books Month celebration or not. If you win, I'll send you your choice of book from the those featured in this quiz. Ready?
Here's the list of quotes:
1. They say a witch lives in the old house under the interstate bridge.
2. The crackle and hiss of the flames devouring our house couldn't block out the screaming and wailing of those who were still alive.
3. The warehouse was coffin dark.
4. I did the unforgivable the day my mother died, and for that I've been punished every moment of my life.
5. The kidnapper looking down at Naomi held a book of poetry to his chest.
6. A woodlark sings of heartache.
7. Eighteen years had passed since Kate Macauley killed her sister.
8. Mrs. Anderson was dead.
9. I was lying on the long grass, only distantly aware of my surroundings.
10. I once believed that heroes existed only in old men's fables, that evil in the world had triumphed over good, and that love--- a true, unselfish and abiding love--- could only be found in a little girl's imagination.
Here's the list of books that those quotes are from:
The Rent Collector by Camron Wright
Breakaway by Michelle Argyle
Blackmore by Julianne Donaldson
I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells
Longing For Home by Sarah M. Eden
Seers by Heather Frost
Dangerous by Shannon Hale
The Shadow Prince by Bree Despain
House of Ivy and Sorrow by Natalie Whipple
Defy by Sara B. Larson
Here's the form to fill out if you'd like to play:
(Good luck! And remember no fair Googling!)