Monday, August 18, 2014

Book Review Discussion: Cut Me Free by J.R. Johansson

Book: Cut Me Free by J.R. Johansson
Genre: YA Contemporary
Rating:★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
For: Review and Utah Book Month
From: ARC from the author at a book signing (to be released Jan. 2015)

Short Synopsis: Charlotte (formerly Piper) has just escaped an abusive childhood. She is now ready to change her life and put everything behind her. Then she sees a little girl that appears to be suffering the same awful abuse that she herself has just escaped. Charlotte has to help her and now her life is going in a completely different direction than she planned. Thanks to help from a strong and understanding boy named Cam, it just might be possible to overcome all.

My Response: Ah, tough subject matter! This is torture abuse, literally. It's hard to even imagine. But despite the harrowing bits, it's also an inspirational tale that leaves you with the feeling of  "you go girl" toward Charlotte. She is strong and determined, yet she is also unable to do this alone. Thanks to some friends she meets along the way, she is able to fight back and overcome. It's page turning to watch. Yes, hard, but also, yes, awesome. Cam, an unlikely friend she finds along the way, is amazingly understanding. I'm not sure any normal person would stick around and just... you know... take the good with the bad. Because this bad is pretty bad.

Bottom Line: I totally enjoyed this one. A sad, powerful story. (Note: This book doesn't come out until Jan. 2015 and I usually don't review something so far ahead of time, but have made an exception this time as part of Utah Book Month celebrations!)

Let's Talk About: What are your feelings reading about reading about abuse? I know it's hard, but it's also eye opening and something that we need to do to be aware. Don't you think? Or do you think it's better left unsaid and unwritten? Or do you think that sure, it should be written about, but you don't have to read it? Thoughts?

Other Reviews:

I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! The story was so intense. I wanted to finish it as soon as I started reading it. From Jenni Elyse

This is a very realistic fiction with a very important theme, one that unfortunately is probably more true than any of us outside this type of a situation may know. From Lisa Loves Literature

Side Note: Don't read this after dark! I had some weird dreams after reading into the night. I just couldn't put it down, but I paid for it! From Kami's Library Thoughts



2 comments:

  1. Yes! I agree with everything you said! Great book! I can't wait til it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review is spot on. :) Fortunately, the abuse isn't too graphic, so it was easier to read than expected. Still very sad, yes. But, had the abuse been more graphic, I don't think I could've continued.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails