Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Utah Book Month Blogger Interview: Jennifer from My Life with Books




Today, I am happy to introduce to you Utah book blogger, Jennifer from My Life with Books! Welcome!

From her about page on her blog, Jennifer says: 

I am a 30 something nurse turned stay at home mom with two beautiful (adopted) children that are ages 4 and 3. I read young adult, paranormal, urban fantasy and some dystopian books. I like a kick bottom heroine who can take care of herself but also let others help her when she needs it. And also: I hate having dirty feet. I love ice cream - any ice cream but prefer chocolate. Mmm chocolate. I also love Pepsi, buttery popcorn and watching the previews at movies. TV is awesome and during fall schedule all of my days around the TV shows I like to watch. (What the heck am I going to do on Thursdays this fall? Too many shows to watch!) Reading isn't the only thing I like to do, some of my other hobbies include shooting guns competitively, camping, and hunting, gardening and hanging out with my family.

Here a some questions I asked her for us to get to know her even better:

 1. Tell me about how you got started blogging, and tell us one of your favorite blogging experiences so far.

 I started blogging to talk about books, I felt bad for my poor husband having to hear all about my latest favorite book obsession.

 My favorite experience is just getting to know people and specifically helping authors get word out about their books.

 2. What's the best book you've read so far this year? What's the best Utah book you've read so far this year?

 I LOVED Deborah Harkness Discovery of Witches, it is smart, intense and most importantly paranormal.

 My favorite Utah Author book is Angela Corbett’s Eternal Starling.





 3. I see you like TV too! What's your absolute favorite show?

 Oh wow, that's like asking me my favorite book! This summer I have been hooked on Teen Wolf and The Walking Dead. I also get a kick out of Glee and New Girl. I live for Thursdays with Bones and The Vampire Diaries but the one show that makes me happiest is Wipeout. There is nothing as funny as people falling down! :)

 4. What's the best Utah author encounter you've had?

 I had the opportunity to participate in Lani Woodland, Angela Corbett and Dan Haring's book tours this last year. Finally getting to meet them this summer at a Kings English book signing was AMAZING. It happens to be one of the best book signings I have been to. They were like a little family full of teasing and candid friendship. My goal is to help wonderful authors like these three succeed, hopefully I was able to do that for them, even if it was just a tiny bit.

 5. What would your PERFECT day include?

 When I close my eyes and go to my happy place I am sitting in a comfy Adirondack chair enjoying cool ocean breezes on a hot day; pants rolled up and my feet buried in sand with a few random sneaker waves  tickling my toes. I tip my head back and let the sun's rays warm my face while I listen to the birds and crashing waves on the beautiful rocks of the northwest. I love the mountains, the beach and the ocean; the northwest coast offers all of these elements that make me happy. What is better than pine trees at the beach? I know, throw a great book in the mix and I could die happy. Physically I get to visit about once a year; mentally I get there more often. ;-)

 6. But... how do you actually spend your days in real life?

 I have a 5 year old daughter, a 4 year old son and a sassy black lab dog. I also watch my 3 year old niece. My day consist of stopping fights, cleaning messes, swim lessons, tee ball, soccer and trying to get a page or two read during the day. Laundry, dishes and at least one Pepsi that is my guilty pleasure. I usually stay up late or get up early to read and watch my shows. (Thank you Hulu). I also take the kids to the children's library once a day for story time. I want my kids to develop a love of reading too.

 7. If you could read yourself into a book, which one would it be?

 This is another hard question. Of course I would love to be a Hogwarts student or the student of Atticus O’Sullivan’s and learn to be a druid. But if I could trade places with any one character it would be Mercy Thompson. How cool would it be to be a shape shifter AND know how to fix my own car?

 8. Tell us about a favorite bookish memory.

 Listening to my mom read me to sleep every night as a child. As an adult and a parent I can’t believe how much time she spent doing that for me and how much it means to me now.

 9. What new-to-you author have you discovered recently?

 I found a great little book for free on amazon called Mayfair Moon by J. A. Redmerski. Its an indie book but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets picked up by a publisher. I've read book two that does need some finessing but I can’t wait for the next book in the series to come out. It’s a great story for an older young adult audience. (18 and up)

 10. What's your favorite: movie, food, color, candy, song, band/singer?

 I watch the Harry Potter movies a lot, usually when I do my housecleaning. I giggle and quote 50 First Dates often and I love Chinese and Mexican food. My life would cease without Pepsi and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I like the color purple and recently I have become addicted to the band FUN. (Currently the Gambler by them is topping my fave) but it’s Don Williams music that calms my soul on a rough day.

Other places to connect with Jennifer and her blog:
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads


Thanks so much for participating in Utah Book Month, Jennifer! It's fun to get to know you better!

11 comments:

  1. Such a fun interview. You have a way with words, Jennifer. And fun questions, Suey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica. :) It was fun taking part of Utah Book Month.
      Jen

      Delete
  2. Oh boy! Where do I start?! I love Mercy Thompson and I'd like to be her too! I'm glad I'm not the only person who watches Teen Wolf! (Suey, what are you waiting for?!) And I'm glad to see someone that like Mayfair Moon as I just downloaded it a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, Mayfair Moon was a nice surprise, I can't wait to read your thoughts.

      Finally someone to chat with about Teen Wolf! Although the season didn't end how I expected it to.
      Jen

      Delete
  3. Fun questions! I have a secret love for Wipeout, too. I actually watch it online sometimes. Because I like it that much. :)
    And I love to hear about people's regular lives, because it seems like we all do pretty much the same things. (especially those of us with small kids)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,
      I know what you mean, It's nice to hear what other mom's deal with. It makes me feel normal, even though I live a borng life it's nice to have someone to relate to.
      Jen
      PS My kids favorite HULU sow is wipeout, I've ruined them! LOL

      Delete
  4. Your perfect day makes me want to go to Washington state so bad!

    Jessica @ Books: A true story

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your interview! These were great questions! And, Jennifer, you and I have so much in common! It's great! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni - Suey did give me great questions. I hear ya, when I chat with you it's so easy, like I have known you forever. :)
      Jen

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails