Monday, August 6, 2012

Book Review: Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale

Book: Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale
Genre: YA (MG?) Fantasy
Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆☆
For: Review and Utah Book Month
From: my first NetGalley ARC, book release date August 21, 2012

When I first got my Kindle and was checking out this thing they call NetGalley, I was so excited to see Shannon Hale's new book, Palace of Stone, listed there. So I did my first request, and was accepted! Wahoo! And now it's close enough to its release date that I can finally tell you all about it!

This book is a sequel to the Newbery Award winning Princess Academy. In this story, Miri leaves the small mountain town she's lived in all her life to go to the big city to help the new almost-Princess prepare for her wedding and to go to school for a year. But she is a little nervous about what's going on there because she gets word that all is not well, and that help is needed. She does not know what to expect.

Upon arrival, she learns that there's some political unrest, which she soon finds herself right smack dab in the middle of. At first, it seems that the "good" side is an easy pick, but soon she realizes it's not quite that simple of a matter. Miri learns much about herself and her fellow countrymen as she tries to figure out where she should stand.

I loved returning to the world of the Princess Academy and it was great to get to know these characters again. (It must have been a long time ago I read the first one since I can't seem to find a review on my blog!) Miri is an especially fun one and she did some surprising things in this story that kept me guessing. And I loved how her character was really quite tested in this story.

I loved the rich description and detail that is Shannon Hale's writing. Always a joy to read and the reason why I'm a fan for life.

Oh, and I love, love, LOVE Peder. Just in case you wondered.

I was, however, surprised at the level of political talk in this story! That was another thing that took me by surprise. I found myself racing through the polticial parts to get back to the human story. I know it was all meshed up together, but that's how it was for me! Politics, even in the Princess Academy land, just not my thing!

Bottom line: Despite all that, I enjoyed this one very much. Of course!

Other Reviews:

Kami's Library Thoughts
Debz Bookshelf
Sparkles and Lightning
The Window Seat


12 comments:

  1. I've only recently discovered that I can read Kindle books on my PC and downloaded the app. Thanks for the review. I'm with you on the politics, I read to get away from all that nonsense.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann: I knew there was such an app, but I don't enjoy reading on the PC. Very hard.

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read the first PRINCESS ACADEMY. *Sigh* So little books, so little time ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very political, but I'm enjoying it. I should finish this one today. Thanks for the review! (And for inspiring me to request it on Netgally.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica: It's a fun book, as they all are.

      Delete
  4. I'm happy you liked it! I've seen a few mixed reviews, and people saying they didn't like it quite as much as Princess Academy, so it was nice to read your review. I'm excited to read this once it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy: I would agree that I didn't like it as much as Princess Academy, which made me a little sad.

      Delete
  5. Of all the Shannon Hale books, Princess Academy was my least favorite. I'm not sure why, though. I'll still probably read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I posted my review yesterday too! It did have a lot of political stuff. What I love in reading others' reviews is what things stick out to them. Often, they are not the same things that stick out to me! I think I liked Princess Academy better too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot this was out. I get the Shannon Hale books for my wife for gifts, she really enjoys them. I've read The Goose Girl and thought it was fantastic, so I should read the rest of these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I can compare Palace of Stone to Princess Academy - it's too NEW. It is AMAZING to be able to return to see Miri and everyone and they are exactly them. I loved that. I caught myself skimming the political stuff once... and then noticed that it zipped by, which I was grateful for. If there had been any more, it would have been too much.

    I linked to your review on my post today. Great review! http://burgandyice.blogspot.com/2012/08/review-palace-of-stone-by-shannon-hale.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails