Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Family Favorites



This week's prompt over at The Broke and Bookish is to list books you would hand to someone who doesn't read. Well, guess what? I did that list just a few weeks ago! ARGH! So, here's what I've decided to do... I asked my family what books are their all time favorites from their whole long lives. Of course, it goes without saying that because they are favorites, this would be really great choices to hand to someone who doesn't like to read. Especially given the fact that a couple of these family members aren't really huge readers themselves. (Actually, some of these are repeats of what I put on my list a few weeks ago. Whatdyaknow!)



FAMILY FAVORITES
(sorry, there's a little more than ten!)


Toto's Favorites (age 12 girl, 7th grade)
Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale
The Old Willis Place by Mary Downing Hahn
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Moder's Favorites (age 17 boy, 11th grade)
1984 by George Orwell
The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking

JJ's Favorites (age 20 girl, college sophomore)
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Bud's Favorites (age 22 boy, college sophomore)Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Skinnybones by Barbara Park
Clapton: The Autobiography by Eric Clapton

Mr Stuey 

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Not a bad list, yes?





20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It made for a very fun dinner table convo.

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I haven't done this topic, but it seems like it's been around the pike a bit, so I didn't participate today. I looooved your approach. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andi, I'm pretty good at getting around the assigned topics sometimes, lol. :)

      Delete
  3. Rebecca is such a fantastic book! To Kill a Mockingbird too. They would make great starter books for non-readers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ella Enchanted is so cute, love those books.

    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/top-10-tuesdays-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina, my daughter guessed she read that book at least five or six times.

      Delete
  5. This is a fun idea! I would love to ask my brothers and sisters what their favorites are...me and my husband wouldn't make a very exciting list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa.. do it! I would love to see that list.

      Delete
  6. More than the books themselves, I'm interested in all the nicknames for your family, lol. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is the nickname king, these are all names they are actually called often around the house, and all their lives.

      Delete
  7. great list. love hearing their thoughts on great reads. thanks for sharing.

    ~L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L: You should do a list for your family. Really.

      Delete
  8. I like your approach to this one--involving the family and seeing what they like. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye, It was a little stressful for some of them!

      Delete
  9. LOVE your list! Fun to have the whole family involved! Here's ours http://marmaladelibby.blogspot.com/2012/02/top-10-tuesday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do more family type posts, but have gotten out of the habit. I guess I should take it up again.

      Delete
  10. Cool idea! I'm now tempted to steal your idea and ask my family their favorite books.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails