Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Random Thought Day


You know I love doing these, and you all seem to love reading them (usually) so here goes another bout of randomness:

** I saw something the other day about writing, and how we shouldn't write like we talk. I have always figured that's exactly what I do here, write like I talk, and I always thought it gave the blog a sort of personal quality or something. But this tidbit I saw made me second guess that idea, and so I wonder, should I write like I talk or not? Even so, I'm not sure I could change if I wanted to!

** After a conversation last night, I'm thinking a lot about carbs today and and finding that some things are surprisingly full of them and others surprisingly not. This could be an interesting study.

**  I got my first Letter Writing Month letter today! From the author who started it all! Very fun. I've loved writing letters this week. I will be sad to see the month end.. not that I'll stop writing letters, but that the blitz and the craze will be over.

** Thanks to Shelley, I'm pondering the Clarissa challenge. Someone stop me now!

** Hollywood Week starts on American Idol today. I wonder if it will pick up a little excitement now. And Survivor starts next week, which now means all my shows will conflict and clash with one another. How sad life is. Good thing we don't live in the dark ages of TV anymore, I say, and watch stuff whenever and wherever we want!

** I always wonder what I did before blogging, and going to bookish author events. I'm not sure. Weird to think about. This month there is something every single weekend, and a few things mid week too. When did this take over my life? Still, I'm not complaining.

** Pinterest. There's been talk that one can use it more as part of the whole blogging thing too. As might notice, I'm giving that a try. But one thing I still don't get is Tumblr. How is this different from all the other social media things? I just don't get it.

** I have a deadline to make this blog the best it can be. Please, tell me what needs to be better! What needs to look better. What should I delete off and what should I add?

19 comments:

  1. Yes! Join us reading Clarissa this year :)

    Re writing like you talk ... hmmm. I tend to do that on my blog. Thought the same thing you did, that it gave it a more personal twist. My blog is not a professional/academic device and I want it to reflect my voice as much as possible. I do tend to be somewhat circumspect since it is out there for everyone (including my Dean) to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I figure, if my intention is not necessarily a professional one, I can write like I talk, right? I think so too.

      Delete
  2. Tumblr is basically just another way to blog. People who don't want to use Blogspot or Wordpress can use Tumblr. The cool thing about Tumblr, though, is the sharing feature. You can reblog things other people have blogged. Usually, most people use it for sharing pics and videos and so that's why people like to reblog things. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it's just like Pinterest, and you can repin. But Pinterest is the new guy on the block, really, right? But seems to be making a push for the front line or something.

      Delete
  3. I say for a blog, writing like you talk is almost a must. It sure makes thing more personable and warm.

    Ah, carbs. Good luck, it's kinda fun if you get into it.

    I like all the author things we go to, so keep em coming. ;)

    Your blog is great, I wouldn't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I think we'll have no problem feeding our author stalking thing! Bring it on tomorrow! :)

      Delete
  4. I can't image not writing like I talk on my blog! It's supposed to be personal so I want it to sound like me and friendly you know?

    Also, yeah, I love pinterest but I do not get tumbler either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i try to be multi-lingual w/ the blog; i occasionally write like I talk; regardless, the voice is the same.

    i do love tv-watching these days, too: as many shows and whenever.

    read an article encourage Libraries to use Pinterest to their advantage. I kicked it around, have seen several blogs of late using it, been trying to maintain a board, but I like pinning for other interests/projects.

    I am experimenting with Tumblr for non-book-blog things, ephemera. simple and light. it has great themes, is easy/straight-forward. i like the re-blogging/sharing aspect, too. Just when I swore I wouldn't indulge in more social media...who was I kidding?

    ~L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L: I just can't think of anything I'd do on Tumblr that I'm not doing other places. And whenever I look at other peoples pages, I can't figure out what THEY are doing!

      Ah TV... it's just like reading! Sort of. Ha.

      Delete
  6. I thinking that, for blogging, writing like you talk is great. For other kinds of writing (like fiction dialogue or a legal brief), it's not so great. In any case, I like the way you write.

    I also love the blog. What is this deadline you have? Is it self-imposed?

    Also, I love the author events too. Thanks for including me in the last one. :)

    Oh, and I'm perplexed by both Tumblr and Pinterest. I think it may be partially linked to the fact that I'm not a particularly visual person. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica: My deadline is a blogging panel I'm going to be on at the Orem library! Wahoo. So in case it brings a few new people here, I want things to be spiffy.

      Delete
    2. Ooh. Fancy. I think everything looks good and spiffed. When is the panel?

      Delete
  7. I think the writing how you speak works well for your blog. Not so much for academic papers and some types of books :)

    Wish I knew anything about pinterest. Am I going to have to be the last person to join that too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa: Pinterest to me is like ripping things out of a magazine that you like and sticking them in books for different categories. Only instead you are taking internet images and pinning them to your different boards you create. Very fun. Maybe you'll be the last to join, but it's actually still in beta right now, so maybe not! :)

      Delete
  8. Continue to write like you talk for your blog. It makes it more personal and far more interesting.

    Have fun at all your author events. You are lucky.

    Pinterest is a place for me to keep stuff that I randomly come to that I like or find interesting. No real set purpose for me and I like it that way.

    No interest in Tumblr for me, but my girls like it.

    I have been VERY tempted by the Clarissa challenge. I have not taken it on though because I doubt I could keep it up. But it is an interesting one. Let me ask, what makes you not take it on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't taken it on just because there's so much else I want to read too. And I'm afraid this, as an official project, would take over those other things. Still pondering...

      Delete
  9. I'm a fan of "write like you talk" on blogs. I have a hard time being serious when I write a post, and sometimes I wonder if readers find it annoying, but then I decide I don't care because that's what's coming out of my head, and it is what it is. It's my place and I'll do what I want with it.
    Keep doing what you're doing, it works!
    Carbs rule, and I hope you join the challenge.
    I'm afraid of Pinterest. I'm only on FB, hardly ever check my Twitter, and have my blog, and just those three I find overwhelming sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley, I LOVE how you write! Every blog post makes me giggle and makes me want to write like you. Seriously!

      Carbs rule! Yes! They scare me now actually.

      I think I've finally figured out Twitter after three years... you should embrace it, and come talk to me!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails