Friday, August 28, 2009

Weekly Geeks 2009.32: Why Haven't I


Weekly Geeks this week wants us to ask ourselves this question: "Why haven't I read that yet?"

So, wow, my list could go on and on, but with really lousy reasons and explanations. Off the top of my head, these come to mind:

The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale: I should have read it when it first came out, but then I heard mixed reviews so was nervous to buy it. Instead, I got on the hold list at the library, and then I found out that because I work at the library, I continually get bumped to the bottom of the hold list! Therefore, I have YET to get my hands on this book!

Shogun by James Clavell: I hear it's wonderful. I planned on reading it for a online book group thing years ago. My son even bought it for me for Christmas. I think I've read the first 50 pages 2 or 3 times. So why don't I just read it? I have no idea....

Bleak House by Charles Dickens: I've wanted to read this one for years. Then I finally bought it, and still it sits there unread. I put it on all my challenge lists and still, unread. I just need to read it already!

Oil by Upton Sinclair: Once upon a time, Kookie blogged about books and she raved about this one. So I bought it. But it has yet to be read. I'm a little scared of this one I think. My husband read it and survived, so I probably will too.

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham: A children's classic that I've had forever and just never seem to read. Let's see, what challenge list can this one go on?

Ah, well. And so it goes. On and on. The pile of unread, waiting-for-their-turn books. My companions for life.

6 comments:

  1. You may borrow the Shannon Hale from me. I rather liked it. It made me think about where I have lost myself in being a wife and there was something else it did for me, that felt very healing at the time and right now I can't think of it because I want to. I am so forgetful anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that way about Bleak House. I don't own it, but it's one I've wanted ot read for several years now but am still too intimidated to actually open up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you - there are so many books that I have yet to read and sometimes it feels rather overwhelming. BUT I am trying very hard to enjoy the reading journey - and know that someday I will eventually read them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha! Hey! Is this your first comment here? Welcome! And yes, I would love to borrow the book if you are really okay with that. Do you plan to help with book fair this year? If so, we'll have to be having a meeting soon, maybe I can get it from you then? Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to help, it will depend on my mom. She has started having panic attacks if I am not in sight, so I have to plan my time away very carefully. The book is available anytime

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Shogun in college and LOVED it, but it's a real committment.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails