Monday, August 31, 2009

Monday at the Movies: Knowing


And now a stab at the Monday at the Movies event hosted by A Novel Menagerie.

We haven't been watching very many movies lately because we continue to be caught up in the Gilmore Girl thing and spend most of our watching time on that. (Finished season 5 yesterday, which I think I mentioned in a post already, and ended with one character saying " Will you marry me." and the other answering "WHAT???" Arrghh!)

But we did manage to rent and watch a movie this past weekend.


Knowing
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Starring: Nicholas Cage
Genre: SF

I wasn't sure I wanted to watch this movie very bad until the lady I work with said to me one day, "Have you seen Knowing? You need to see it so we can talk!"

It's about a single dad and his kid. They've recently lost their wife/mom and are struggling to deal with that. One day, the elementary school has a 50th year celebration and dig up a time capsule. All the current kids get a letter or picture that was sealed in the capsule by all the past kids. The letter this boy gets is just a page full of numbers.

He ends up taking it home where his professor dad sees it and starts deciphering it. It turns out the numbers are predicting disasters, natural and otherwise. He then goes on a quest to learn more about the girl who wrote the numbers.

Then things begin to get very very creepy!

There were many nail-biting moments, and times where I had to hide my eyes and a few "jump out of your seat" bits. And even though it was a bit "far out" and unrealistic, I made sure to keep my younger "I can't sleep" kids out of the room. Yes, not for the younger ones for sure.

My rating? In keeping with the system set up by Sheri at A Novel Menagerie, I deem it three popcorn bags out of five. It was okay, and worth seeing for entertainment value, but not a deep-thinking, mind-boggling kind of movie.


2 comments:

  1. I'm curious about this one, but I don't really care for Nicholas Cage; so I haven't decided whether I want to see this or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this one up until the end. I just didn't seem to go with the rest of the movie. But then again, I'm not a big fan of these types of movies.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails