Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: The Year's Favorites


Even though I hope to read a couple more books this week, I'm going to go ahead and list my favorites of the year as it stands right now, and link up over at The Broke and the Bookish where the topic this week is Top Tens of the year! Head on over to check out everyone's lists and link up your list!

My tradition from past years... to separate out YA from other books, so I get to double the size of my favorites! Here they are, in no particular order:

Top Ten Favorite "Big Kid" Books


1. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
2. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
3. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
4. Room by Emma Donoghue
5. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
6. Under the Dome by Stephen King
7. The Soldier's Wife by Margaret Leroy
8. I Don't Want to Kill You by Dan Wells
9. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
10. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson


Top Ten YA Books


1. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
2. Bruiser by Neal Shusterman
3. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
4. Entwined by Heather Dixon
5. Variant by Robison Wells
6. Underdogs by Markus Zusak (one part new to me, two parts a re-read)
7. I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak (a re-read)
8. The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima
9. Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
10. Skellig by David Almond

Top Ten "New to Me" Favorite Authors Discovered in 2011

1. Cinda Williams Chima
2. Emma Donoghue
3. Erin Morgenstern
4. Patrick Rothfuss
5. Robison Wells
6. Heather Dixon
7. Jandy Nelson
8. Stephanie Perkins
9. Cassandra Clare
10. Elana Johnson

What a wonderful reading year it's been!

12 comments:

  1. Great choices. I too have Room in my picks. From your list, I am gonna add to my already LONG tbr pile!! Come check mine too:

    Here is my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to tackle The Night Circus this year...hoping I'll love it as much as everyone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT choices, Suey! I see lots of books here I loved...especially The Night Circus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not at all surprised to see THE WAY OF KINGS and THE NAME OF THE WIND on your Big Kid list! Such wonderful books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you so cheated! ;) Actually I'm just jealous I didn't think about doing this too.

    I'm surprised to see Variant on there I guess I didn't get how much you really liked it. Now, I'll have to check it out sooner.

    I almost put down Zusak's book but they were re-reads and I opted against that. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad Cassandra Clare and Stephanie Perkins made your list of new favorite authors. I need to read The Night Circus. It's going to be one of my first reads next year, maybe in February.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed The Name of the Wind, which I read last year. I have to read the sequel, I'm waiting for it to come out in softcover.

    I have yet to read The Night Circus, I'm waiting for it to come out in softcover first.

    You have some lovely selections there, Suey. Like that Skellig is on your list too, it really is a good book, isn't it? Under The Dome was a good book also. I'm not sure it made my long list for best reads this year, I'm still deciding this. I did enjoy it though!

    Happy reading to you! You sound like you had a really good year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! We had a very similar reading year! Thus, I better read The Night Circus and Room (both of which I've been considering for the last few months).

    Are you planning on reading The Wise Man's Fear in 2012?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I also really enjoyed The Night Circus, The Way of Kings, The Name of the Wind, The Glass Castle, and The Gargoyle from your 'Big Kid' list...

    I haven't read many of your YA books, though. I do have some of them, though. I did read Skellig, though, and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm such a horrible blogger for returning the comment in such a tardy manner! Anyway, I hope I'll like I Am Messenger as much as you did-I just ordered it. Yay me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love seeing The Name of the Wind, The Way of Kings, and Ship Breaker on there, since as you know they were on my list too and they are such great books.

    I'm woefully behind in getting on the Night Circus bandwagon, but plan to get to it sometime this year. I am hoping I'll love it.

    Fun that you separate "Big Kid" from "YA", that way you can list more books! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really should finish Major Pettigrew since it is in your top 10 for 2011. I have been in the middle for a while. Another book keeps interrupting it:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails