Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Ten Books I Can't Live Without


In doing some blog hopping, I found Kailana's blog about what ten books you couldn't live without. So, in helping her with her quest, I'll add my list here. But, I want you all to know this is a VERY painful endeavor! Sheesh. I can't live without ANY of my books! But, if I HAD to narrow it down, here's what I'd keep. My critera for doing this was to ask myself, what books do I enjoy reading over and over, or do I THINK I'd enjoy reading over and over; ones that never fail to give back.


1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I know, nothing too surprising here. But there's just something about how this book is written that makes it enjoyable over and over again. I doubt I'll ever get tired of it.


2. Wurthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Another book that grabs me every time. I know some people HATE it, but I love the tragic love stories with a tortured "hero". Love 'em!


3. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. When I read this one for the 2nd time, I thought, "wow! I missed so much the first time around! This book has EVERYTHING in it!" It's just a great story from all angles.


4. Katherine by Anya Seton. I'll be reading this one for my 2nd time soon and I can't wait. I love the historical aspect of this book, as well as the romance. I love ALL Anya Seton's books, but this one's my favorite.


5. The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien. In order to get my fantasy fix, these books better be on the list. These books are amazing; the style, the story, the characters, the intensity, everything. I find it interesting that nearly all fantasy books to follow have been compared to these. No one seems to quite measure up.


6. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. Add this to the list for some fun, comic relief! Such a fun book. And I'm often found taking it off the shelf just to read that last encounter between Anne and Gilbert, after all their bickering, to have that last little.... talk... it's great!


7. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I just love all of Card's books, but especially this one. The ending blew me away, one of those drop your jaw endings (like Eldest that I read awhile back! Wow!) . I'm sure I'll get more and more out of this book every time I read it.


8. The Far Pavillions by M.M. Kaye. This was the first big, huge book that I read where I remember coming to the end of it and actually being sad that it was over. I hated to see it end. I'll be reading this one again soon for an online group and really look forward to it. It will be interesting to see if I have the same reaction.


9. The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz. One of the most amazing and inspiring stories I've ever read! And I could read it over and over, so it has to be on this list. Great book!


10. And since I'm so infatuated with them right now, I'm going to add Stephenie Meyer's books about Edward and Bella here on the end! Twillight and New Moon and coming soon Eclipse. At this point in time, I can't live without them!


4 comments:

  1. Great List!! Yeah...I tried reading Wuthering Heights last year (it's on my TBR for this year because I have to finish it!). Every one in it ticked me off to no end! This time, I'll finish!

    I LOVED Great Expectations!! If I listed 20 (or 12) instead of just 10, it would definitely have made the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing....I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I am loving all the new readers on my blog, and new blogs for me to read. :) Great list, I will add it in. I got to thinking today if I get enough books to make a decent list, I might give away a book from the top ten. The person can pick, of course, so they get something they do not have already.

    I also love Anne and Tolkien, they were both on my list. Great Expectations is my favourite Dickens... It would have made the list if I had more room...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am into the Stephenie Meyer books - so much fun to read!
    Stephanie
    www.thewrittenword.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails