Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books of the Year 2012


Is it time to make this list already? I guess I probably won't read my favorite book of the year these next two weeks, (if I do I'll be sure to let you know!) so I'll go ahead and make my final list now and link up over at The Broke and the Bookish. Come join us!

BUT, you do realize by now that I make TWO lists? Yes, I do, so enjoy!

Top Ten Adult Books of 2012
(books I read this year, not necessarily published this year)

1. The Hollow City by Dan Wells
2. The House at Tynford by Natasha Solomons
3. The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
4. Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson
5. About a Boy by Nick Hornby
6. The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
7. Precious Bane by Mary Webb
8. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
9. Forever Odd by Dean Koontz
10. Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freedman

Top Ten YA Books of 2012
(books I read this year, not necessarily published this year)

1. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
2. For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
3. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
4. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (and the sequel Froi too!)
5. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
6. Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver
7. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
8. The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen
9. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
10. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Re-reads I loved, but didn't add to the official Top Ten List

1. Persuasion by Jane Austen
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
3. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
4. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
5. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Putting this list together has made me realize that my adult book consumption has been pretty sparse this year. But more on that when I do my year end number crunch! Stay tuned!

Have you read these? Do agree with me?

I can't wait to see everyone else's top ten of the year lists! I bet I can predict a few of them!


20 comments:

  1. This is a good idea. I'll keep better track of books that I enjoy in 2013.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh loving this list because there are so many books on it that I want to read – and I loved Ready Player One, Hollow City and The Scorpio Races - which also made my list for favorite young adult books.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fault in Stars is on my list also and i'm not even a YA fan, I think that will past the test of time.

    I love Dan Wells but haven't read this one, need to next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great List! Many of your YA picks are on mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! A Wise Man's Fear was on mine last year and Ready Player One will certainly be on the list this year.

    And of course any list with Tolkien on it is a good list, in my opinion.

    I haven't done much re-reading this year. Certainly less than in the last several years. I meant to but just didn't get around to it.

    Looking at your list, I'm hoping to get to more books in the Ender's series this next year. I've read Game and Speaker and loved them both tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Under the Never Sky on my list too! Is the Hobbit really considered a ya?

    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/12/top-10-tuesday-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. The House at Tynford and About a Boy are high on my MUST list fo rnext year. Also, I adore all of the books on your re-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your lists. So happy book club picked Precious Bane, because I've been advocating that book for ages. And I figured I didn't need to add Fault in Our Stars to my list, since everyone else would cover that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh. There are a ton of books here that I need to read! UNDER THE NEVER SKY is chief among them. Glad to see a lot of book club picks on this list. And a few locals too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Edenbrooke waiting for me at the library, so I'm very excited. We have a lot of YA books in common, which didn't surprise me at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ready Player One is making a lot of lists this year and it's been in my shelf since last December! I've also seen Under the Never Sky several times, it's definitely on my list for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read a lot of these, but I definitely agree on UNDER THE NEVER SKY and THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. Are you on NetGalley? The sequel to NEVER SKY is available on there. I need to read it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to read Pandemonium, but I'm waiting for Requiem to come out first! Here’s my TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/top-books/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  14. Persuasion and the Hobbit would make my list too (but I read them before 2012). Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list! I like how you divided it. And, I really need to read Edenbrooke. I've heard only good/great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG I TOTALLY forgot about The Scorpio Races!! That was def one of my faves this year! Gotta go add that one....Under the Never Sky made it onto my list as well!
    MY TTT: http://nightmareonbookstreet.blogspot.com/2012/12/top-ten-tuesday-2012-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woot! I have a couple of these on my list and a couple on my TBR still :D Here is my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great list of books! I am not sure if I am going to do best of lists this year or not... My reading has been rather quiet...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed reading your best of lists, Suey! This year I am going to make a point of reading Rothfuss's first book. I've heard such great things about his books.

    I hope you have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I have so much reading to do!! A number of these books are even already on my shelves! And, I think it is time for a re-read of Ender's Game, just in time for the movie this year!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails