Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Movie Review: Love and Friendship

Movie: Love and Friendship
Genre: Drama/Comedy
Starring: Kate Beckinsale
Rating: PG
My Rating: 1/2 a thumb up


Yeah. Well. This movie. What to say. Strange little thing.

It's based on Jane Austen's Lady Susan, a strange little book that I read a long time ago. What did I think of it then? I can't remember. I'll look. (Here's my review.) I guess I thought it was sort of intriguing, but hard to follow. In my research I've learned that is was NOT her last book ( as I thought someone had said) but actually her first book and probably she never intended for it to be published.

So. The movie. I think it followed the book quite closely, including the sudden and abrupt ending. Like... it just ended and we were all like... that's it. For reals? Jinjja? There was really no plot, or character development at all. It left me feeling very unsatisfied. It skims the surface of some interesting plot ideas, (like an abusive mother daughter relationship, an affair, a normal romance, an abnormal romance, lots of scheming, etc.) but never goes anywhere with them. People are falling in love all over the place, but we don't get to actually SEE it. It makes me crazy.

But it also left me feeling a bit slap happy since it was so so silly. There's a character who is a bit Mr. Collins like that had us rolling in aisles with his silliness. So the movie is worth it for him alone. And Kate whats-her-face is pretty good in the leading role and has some great lines, though you must be on your Jane Austen game to catch is all.

This dude makes the movie worth it.

Bottom Line: Jane Austen fans... just go... and let me know what you think. Everyone else will be like... what was the point?

Here's the trailer:



6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. Interesting. I realized after you had said that you'd gone that I had seen the trailer. It just wasn't one that stuck out to me. I think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half a thumb? Ha ha. I think I can safely skip this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! You went and saw this one?! I'm jealous. I know it's not going to be amazing but it looks so funny and, well, Jane Austen-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha yeah you and I are on different pages when it comes to movies because I loved this movie. I thought it was so funny and I loved seeing the way Lady Susan manipulated everyone around her. Sure she's a terrible person but she does it in such a likable way. I thought it was hilarious and the ending with Lady Susan triumphing over everyone worked for me. My third favorite movie of the year and I've seen 50.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I don't have any desire to see this movie--but I'm also not a Jane Austen fan. Thanks for doing the dirty work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the book, now I'm curious what I'll think of the movie. I've heard so many different opinions on it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails