Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Book Review: Case File 13: Zombie Kid by J. Scott Savage

Book: Case File 13: Zombie Kid by J. Scott Savage
Genre: MG Paranormal
Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
For: Review
From: ARC from the author

How could I pass up this opportunity to read the latest book from one of my favorite local authors? I could not!

What a fun story about three friends who love Halloween and want to make the BEST costumes every year. (And hope to outdo the girls while at it!) This year the ringleader, Nick, has come up with the coolest zombie costume ever! But sadly, he has to go to a funeral on Halloween and he ends up missing it all! Bummer dude.

However, some strange cool stuff happens while on his trip to the funeral. He discovers that his aunt just might be (make that might have BEEN) a voodoo queen. Then that night, while creeping around a graveyard, something happens. When he gets home, he appears to be turned into a real live (dead?) zombie!

Which is so cool! Until it's not. That's when he and his friends put their heads together to try and figure out how to fix things, a not so easy task.

This story has a bit of everything that will please the younger crowd, especially boys I think. There's lots of funny moments, mixed with lots of creepy spooky moments. And there's even a nice bit of the gross out factor! Very fun!

Oh, and then there was a shout out to "old man Dashner!" That was awesome!

Bottom line: I totally enjoyed this quick and quirky book!

Other Reviews:

As a fan of creepy things, I loved this humorous trio of boys and their adventures. From Alamosa Books

I thought the story really flowed, and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. The ending is especially clever and fun. From Kami's Library Thoughts

Another favorite of mine was the chapter headings, make sure you don’t miss those. From LDS Women's Book Review

I also enjoyed the believable family relationships. Parents who don't solve the problem but are present, caring, and even funny. From Stories. Read 'em. Write 'em.


2 comments:

  1. I have been quoted!!! Made my day! I enjoyed this book, and I'm glad you did too. I need to recommend it to my nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have a favorite local author :) I currently do a decent number of ARC reviews, but I'd like to do more for indy, debut, and local authors.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails