Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Review: The Last Lecture



BOOK: The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

GENRE: Non-fiction

RATING: A

I've always a been a bit leery of reading these types of books where someone is dying and then revealing all their death bed advice or whatever. But I had a feeling this one would be a bit different after having seen a glimpse of him on Oprah. So, I bought it for my son as part of his graduation present, hoping it would give him some words to live by.

He's read the first few chapters, but of course, I stole it and have now read the whole thing. Very easy reading done in just a few short increments.

I liked it because it was very straight forward about what this guy feels is important about life. And yes, it made me sad in places, but for the most part, it just made me want to be a better person, which is the whole point anyway.

Some tidbits I got from it:

  • you can achieve your childhood dreams
  • life is about people, not things
  • brick walls are there for a reason
  • time is all you have
  • don't waste time complaining
  • stop thinking about what others are thinking
  • learn to work with a group
  • cliches are true
  • take risks
  • write thank you notes
  • be prepared
  • tell the truth
  • keep in touch with your inner child
  • it doesn't hurt to ask
  • decide now, are you Tigger or Eyeore?

All in all, very inspiring. Click HERE for more info and to see the lecture itself.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good book. I may have to add it to my irresistible review challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing things in the blogging world about this book, it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails