Friday, June 10, 2011

Review: Bruiser by Neal Shusterman

Book: Bruiser by Neal Shusterman
Genre: YA... something... gah I have a hard time classifying Neal Shusterman's books!
Rating: A
For: Fun
From: The library

Can I just say one more time how much I love this guy's books? This one had me smiling and giggling, and pretty much laughing out loud from page one. And then... and then... a few chapters in, I went... "Oh my gosh! No WAY!"

So the story is about a set of twins, a boy and girl named Bronte and Tennyson. Love those names! Bronte starts going out with this guy named Brewster (nicknamed Bruiser) and Tennyson is a little freaked by that because Bruiser doesn't have a very good reputation. Everyone thinks he is just weird, and a bit creepy and even scary. But Bronte sees something in him that makes her want to see what he is all about. In reality, he is just a boy that keeps a bit to himself.

Then Tennyson decides to start finding out more about Bruiser too, in the name of looking out for his sister. He finds out some stuff that is pretty heartbreaking. And that there's a reason he keeps a lot to himself. Ah, and that's about when I said "No way!"

The story alternates between the points of view of Bronte, Tennyson, Bruiser and Bruiser's little brother Cody. It's a perfect way to tell this story and experience all the different perceptions of these characters.

I just love Shusterman's creative unique style and his humor. So much fun to read. Then there's always this underlying deep thing that makes you sit up and take notice and ponder life and think a bit. And it's real life stuff, except for this little element of something other! It's so hard to explain but I love it!

Bottom line: I loved it!

Other Reviews:

I'd So Rather Be Reading
Bookish Blather
Readingjunky's Reading Roost

If you are in the mood, here's a video I just found of Neal himself reading the first chapter, and you can see how I was laughing right from the start:

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree with your review. Can Shusterman do any wrong??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm soooo excited to get this one in the mail! I'm going to have to read it ASAP. I love Shusterman's books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shusterman's one of my favorites. He always surprises me with his originality and imagination. And no, I really don't think he can do any wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I've had my eye on this book - love the cover and the premise. It seems to be making the rounds at OPL. I've never read any Shusterman before, so would this be a good place to start?

    P.S. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails