Monday, August 25, 2008

Review: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon



Book: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
Genre: Historical Fiction, Pulitzer Prize Winner
Rating: A
Challenges: Awards II, TBR, Pulitzer


I really feel a sense of accomplishment having finally finished this book. First, because it's been sitting there waiting it's turn for so long. Second, because I've put it on so many challenge lists (mostly because it's been waiting it's turn for so long!) Third, because I tried to start it many times and it just didn't take and fourth, because once I finally committed to it, it seemed to take forever to get done!

Now, that all sounds as if it was a hard, boring, too long, excruciating book to read. But it wasn't! Well, it was long. But it was very interesting and engaging and clever and different. I really enjoyed it.

I was surprised that this is basically an historical fiction book. We learn about the history of comic books and escape acts. We learn about the history of the Empire State Building. We get a different perspective on WWII events, including a stint at the South Pole during the war. We get a wonderful glimpse of New York City during this fascinating time of history. Basically, I forgot while reading that this was a novel. Everything seemed so real.

Then there's the characters. I loved Kavalier the best. He escaped his home in Prague just before things became unbearable there with the Jewish persecution. He came to live with his cousin in New York and they became a partnership in a comic book business. Meanwhile, he's trying to get his family over to NY also. His cousin, Clay, also has his own struggles to deal with, one that made me a little uncomfortable to read about. Then there's the girl, Rosa, who plays a big part in both of their lives.

So, even though it took me awhile to read, I truly enjoyed it and look forward to picking up some others by this author.

4 comments:

  1. I hope to read this one. My husband read it earlier this year and really enjoyed it. I am glad you did too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought this book last week! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your review after an older Sunday Salon post popped into my RSS reader. I'm reading this book right now! Like you, it's been on my shelf for a while and I've been somewhat intimidated by its size. I know it will take me a while to finish but so far I'm enjoying it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my second Chabon and he hasn't disappointed me yet. I think I might have a little reading crush on Chabon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails