Thursday, August 21, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Libraries


Booking Through Thursday

Inspired by Booksplease

Whether you usually read off of your own book pile or from the library shelves NOW, chances are you started off with trips to the library. (There’s no way my parents could otherwise have kept up with my book habit when I was 10.) So … What is your earliest memory of a library? Who took you? Do you have you any funny/odd memories of the library?


First let me just say that I definitely STILL read off the library shelves NOW. :)

Some library memories:

  • I remember when they used to have camera, or some sort of copy machine thing, actually IN the counter top at the library. The counter top was glass and they would hold the book open to either the title page, or the back of the book with all it's info there or something, and push a button with their foot... then there'd be a big flash! They were taking a picture, or a copy, of the book to check it out to people. Anyone else remember this?
  • Both my mom and dad took me to the library. I can't remember how old I was when we first started going a lot. I don't remember ever going to story time, which is something I did a lot with my own kids when they were young.
  • I remember learning the card catalogue system. Then shortly after, learning how to work the new fangled computer system. It was a touch screen and full of finger prints.
  • I remember once my dad just randomly pulled a book down and said, "This looks good. Read it." I LOVED that book (The Enchanted Cup) and was so impressed that he could do that. Randomly find such a good book.
  • I remember just browsing the shelves and hoping for a good book to jump out at me. I haven't done that for so long!
  • When I would go spend summers with my grandma who lives on a farm way out in the country, we would go check out books from the Bookmobile. Now that was the coolest thing ever! I loved that!
  • I remember checking out record albums with my dad.

I guess I have nothing funny or odd. I should ask my mom. I bet she could come up with something!

3 comments:

  1. I certainly think the thing that copied books on the counter odd. I remember card catalogs, but not that. Sounds very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the bookmobile that came where I lived in the summer.

    Like you, I still browse the shelves and hope for a good book to jump out at me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of remember something like that photocopier. It was like having a digital copy of the book for the library. You are not the only one!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails