Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Tough Stuff


Last week was light, this week is heavy. And strangely enough, heavy is easier!

Top Ten Heavy Tough Stuff Books

1. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (rape)
2. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (holocaust)
3. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (drought, starvation, discrimination)
4. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (cancer)
5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (more holocaust)
6. Room by Emma Donoghue (kidnapping, abuse)
7. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See (foot binding and other old China customs)
8. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (poverty, discrimination, corruption)
9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (more racial discrimination)
10. The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons (war)

And yes, I love my heavy books!

Be sure to link up your list over at the Broke and the Bookish!



10 comments:

  1. This isn't the first time I've seen Room come up on someone's list tonight. I'll definitely had to check it out - I had no idea it covered such tough topics.

    Bekka
    Pretty Deadly Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a list. I'm reading "light" this week.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great list! The Book Thief was one of my favorite books!
    Here is my TTT-
    http://turnthepagereviews.com/2013/05/14/top-ten-tuesday-3/

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew, fantastic list! I'm drawn to these types of books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speak made my list too. I didn't even think of Room, but that's such a good one. Especially after what just happened with those 3 girls in Cleveland, Ohio this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have put Room on my list. That was a tough book to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm so proud of myself -- I've read SEVEN of these. And loved them all, despite their heavy subject matter. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow what a list of heavy books . I think I still need to read Room

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I really want to read The Boy in Striped Pajamas and I need to finish The Book Thief. (I know. I am ashamed.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great, great list! Some of my favorites are on this list, so I guess I like to read the heavy stuff!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails