Friday, May 24, 2013

Movie Review: Star Trek Into Darkness

Movie: Star Trek Into Darkness
Genre: Science Fiction
Starring: Chris Pine, Benedict Cumberbatch, Zachary Quinto
Rating: PG13
My Rating: Two thumbs up!

Being the Star Trek geek that I am, I of course loved this movie. Loved.

In this story, we have the original Star Trek crew (timeline-wise it takes place before the original TV show and after the last movie we saw that shows how they all came together) beginning their adventures together. The opening shots are of them trying to save a planet from a volcano. There are some issues and it appears Spock might have to die... of course.

After this incident, Kirk gets the Enterprise taken away. What? How can this be?? But then, because of the actions of a  very very bad (yet very very cool) dude, he ends up on yet another mission... and yes on the Enterprise.

What he discovers on this mission is crazy! And it's a lovely nod to past stories that those of us who have loved and watched Star Trek all our lives will get very excited about.


My favorite thing about these "new" movies with a young original crew... the fact that they have mastered the personalities of these characters (and original actors) so so well! It blows me away, actually. And they have the banter so down! I could sit and watch a movie full of their bantering forever I think. Bones? Oh my word, he is awesome! And Scotty and his silliness and the accent of the Russian kid (Chekhov?) And Zachary (aka. Sylar) as Spock? So perfect. I just love what they've done with these characters so so much.

Anyway, and the tie in to the past movie? That movie (and I HATE spoilers so I'm not even going to say the name, though spoilers for this are RAMPANT out there) was one of the scariest most crazy movies I remember seeing as a kid (teenager actually, because remember, I'm old.) It freaked me out big time! And the villain we are talking about here, one of the best villains... EVER.

And Benedict/Sherlock/Star Trek villain? He with the most awesome voice ever? Another perfect addition to the movie. Wow, he's good. He's so so good. I mean bad... you know... very bad. But good. Some wondered why they cast a British boy in this role when in fact, he should have been... you know... from another ethnic origin if we were to match up with that other movie. But me? I did not care. I like this British boy.

Okay, is my gushing showing yet?

Oh, I must add that this movie was the first movie in a long time that literally had me holding my breath in several scenes. And heart pounding. And very much edge-of-your seat-hands-gripping-the-arm-rests sort of thing. Yes. It really was that exciting.

My question... have you all seen Star Trek things before? Movies? TV shows? The next generation? Anything? We came out of that movie and saw some old neighbors of ours and the wife said of her husband.... he has not seen anything Star Trek ever before, that this movie was his first experience! (And we're talking a guy in his 50s here.) I can't even imagine!! How's does this even happen! People, if you haven't seen anything Star Trek, please, fix this now!

Bottom line: I loved it... and I really really want to see it again. In the Imax theater this time please.

My only complaint? More kissing is needed please. Just a little more.

Here's the trailer in case you haven't seen it:




P.S. Oh, and yes, I did see it in 3D... all the regular showings were sold out. But that's okay, because as you have probably learned by now, I'm a 3D fan. It know longer makes me dizzy, or gives me headaches. For me, it just makes the movie more cool. :)


11 comments:

  1. Glad to see someone else loved it as much as I did! I might be making another visit to the cinema to see it again, and I saw it in Imax the first time, it's worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah: Oh man, I want to see it there so bad! I love the Imax!

      Delete
  2. I finally watched the trailer, and I SOOOO want to see it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andi: Sweet. I hope you do. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  3. I really want to see this movie! I used to be a Star Trek fan, but haven't seen anything much for years (except the first remake that came out in recent years). I'm thinking I need to go back and rewatch some of them though.

    I cannot wait to see Benedict!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tif: You should watch a few originals to prep you for these characters.

      Delete
  4. I think we plan on seeing this movie this weekend. Love all the new updates too :) Scotty & Bones and yes another cumberbatch fan :)

    I think I have seen all the them --tv shows and did watch with picard & ds9 . Picard made the new show :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad it was good. The husband and I are going to see it when he gets home from work. We're both big Voyager fans, but that's the only Star Trek series I've actually seen ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen it twice now, and haven't been able to figure out how to write about it yet--you did a great job staying away from spoilers. And when a certain British boy's name came up in the end credits, I SQUEEEd. Both times :-D.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails