- Did Will redeem himself in the end or not? We were mixed on this.
- Speaking of endings, which did you like better the book or the movie? Everyone seemed torn on this and liked them both. But the movie ending is especially sweet.
- Most of us really liked Will despite his obnoxious ways, mostly because we couldn't get Hugh Grant out of our heads, and how can you not like him? We did have one person say she did NOT like him and felt he was just as bad as any bad villain.
- Some of us actually felt sorry for Will though.
- We loved the idea that Marcus has that everyone needs backup people in their lives. In fact, I think we all felt this was main theme and idea of the book, that we need to surround ourselves with people. This, we all thought, is an awesome thing to take home after reading the book and we really enjoyed it for that reason.
- We discussed a lot more, but I must have been quite into it because I didn't take many notes to remind myself what everyone said!
Other random books we discussed at book club:
Sam and Tessa both read and enjoyed Precious Bane from our last meeting. Sam is also reading The Miserables (total American pronunciation of course!).... as he called it.... non-abridged.. with his daughter. Liking it so far! Tessa is reading Beyond Consequences, Logic and Control, a pretty fascinating parenting book.
Jenny read a lot this past month, but only three she felt were worth mentioning: Stolen, Bad Kitty and The Color of Evil.
Jessica A got a jump on book club and read Ender's Game. It was for her other book club. This one will be reading it in August. She also listened to The Book Thief on audio and said, and I quote, "it was freaking delightful!" And... AND... she decided to fess up and admitted to reading Fifty Shades of Grey! Whoa... we wanted to know ALL about it! :)
Julie read The Night Circus and agreed, it was good and beautiful and hard to describe. Having said that, she wouldn't go so far as to say it was on the the best books she's ever read.
Jessica N read..... wait for it... About a Boy! We cheered because she hasn't been feeling well and to get the book club book read was awesome!
Suey read Ready Player One, which launched us into a spirited 80s discussion wherein we all learned... again... just how old Suey really is!
Up next: A sort of informal Jane Austen month where we all hope to read something of hers we haven't read before... or... simply... read something of hers. :) Then in August, when we officially meet again, we'll also be discussing Ender's Game.
P.S. I just thought you might be interested... the kid that plays Marcus in the movie? Here's what he looks like now: