- Many were bugged by the narrator's lack of a first name.... except one who said, "Wait! What? She didn't have a name???"
- A few of us believe that the no name thing was done on purpose in order to symbolize Rebecca's domination of the narrator... but the author said in an author's note that she just couldn't think of a name. I personally said that I don't believe that, and that Ms. du Maurier was senile in her old age and just FORGOT that she did it all on purpose!!!
- Several people felt our nameless narrator was spineless and wimpy... and they just didn't like her an so had a hard time feeling for her predicament.
- A few people felt the ending was too abrupt and left many questions unanswered.
- We all agreed Mrs. Danvers was quite the creepy character.
- Almost everyone enjoyed the beautiful writing and lush descriptions.
- Some were just not in the mood for this book and gave up in first couple of chapters.
- Some said it has been and will stay one of their all time favorite books!
- We all agreed that it was crazy that we were all hoping for a particular outcome at the climatic ending.
Friday, March 19, 2010
Book Club Report: What We Thought of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Last night at book club, everyone was eerily quiet at first, but after awhile, we got it all sorted out and started talking. Here's some observations that were made on Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: