Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Review: Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult


Book: Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult
Genre: Literary Fiction
Rating: A-

Every summer, my book club takes a little break from our monthly meetings. However, we do assign ourselves some sort of summer reading project. This summer, we decided to pick an author to read, each of us reading whatever book by that author we could find. But we had a tie in the voting, between Jodi Picoult and Bill Bryson. So, I decided I'd read at least one book by each of them and this is the Picoult book I ended up with.

Her books make me nervous because they always deal with some "hard to read about" subject. This book's hard subject: kidnapping. However, the twist and take it took on this subject made it a little easier for me to read. I can't say much more than that without giving it all away.

The story is from the viewpoint of Delia, a thirty-something woman, who, along with her dog, works in search and rescue. She thinks her life is going quite smoothly, but suddenly, everything changes and all is turned upside down. There's an interesting love triangle going on too, along with all the other plot twists and turns.

Overall, I ended up completely enjoying this book. The style is easy to read, and the story is compelling and really moves along.

I've only read one other of her books (The Pact) and so I have a lot to go if I ever want to catch up!

1 comment:

  1. This is probably my least favorite of the four books by Jodi Picoult I have read so far--but that doesn't mean much considering I did enjoy it. :-) I am glad you enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails