Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Book Review: Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

Book: Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★

This is the second book of the duology of books starting with Six of Crows. So the story continues pretty much right where the first one left off, which was not in a great place! The first book had our heroes (anti heroes?) pulling off an impossible heist. But they were duped. This story is them getting revenge on the duper.

We continue to get to know these characters even better. I thought we had them pretty down from the first book, but no.... there's SO MUCH MORE! Which means we just fall in love with them all even harder. It continues, like the first one, to have each of them getting a turn to tell the story. And I love that.

So from page to page, we never know what thing they have to deal with next. There's hardly any catch your breath moment. It's intense. This book knows well about the whole put the characters in a hard place concept and see if they can get out of it. So many times I thought... AND NOW WHAT WILL THEY DO? Let's just say they (and the author of course) are ten times smarter than I am. I could never figure out what they could do to solve all their predicaments.

Another fun thing about this story, is that we as the readers often have NO CLUE what's really going on, but the characters do. Know what I mean? So we are tricked into thinking... oh man it's OVER now, but in reality, the characters had things in complete control. But since that was always the case... you just never knew!

I do wish there had been a touch more romance. The potential is there, but the characters are just not cooperating! The end was great, but I just... AH!.... wanted a little more!

But still. Great story. Great characters. Fantastic writing. And now I'm on to finishing the other series... the one that actually came first!





1 comment:

  1. I’m more than half way through the second book in the “other” series and loving it. I can’t wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails