Sunday, September 20, 2015

Movie Review: Maze Runner The Scorch Trials

Movie: Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
Genre: Drama/Fantasy/bordering on Horror
Starring: Dylan O'brien, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Ki Hong Lee
Rating: PG 13
My Rating: One thumb up

So, what happens to Thomas after he gets out of the Maze? Terrible things! I knew the terrible things would happen, since the book is filled with terrible things. But, seeing those terrible things on the screen was.. well... terrible.

But let me first say, this movie and the book are not even at all the same. The characters are there, the world is there, but the happenings... totally different. So that was something to get used to.

In the book there are Cranks, which is a zombie sort of thing, and I remember the being at part, but the movie seemed to capitalize on that and we had a lot of zombie scenes. I felt like I was suddenly in The Walking Dead.

So while I was a little bugged by the differences from the book, and a little bugged by the violence factor, I did really enjoy the intensity, the edge of your seat aspect (though I know I was sitting by someone who didn't feel that at all coughKamicough!), the actors and the music.

The kids are cornered.

And the differences from the book didn't bother me that much either. It's been awhile since I read it so I don't remember details, but if you put that aside, the movie story was fine too. The emotion and craziness and all the drama is still there.

Which, all goes to say that I liked it okay. Not as much as The Maze Runner, but it was okay. I am a little worried about the third movie, and will be curious as to what they'll do with it.

Anyway, no matter what, it's fun to watch Dylan O'brien. He's awesome. And this movie did get ONE smile out of him. Barely, but I caught it!

Thomas not smiling.

I didn't catch a James Dashner cameo though. Have you seen it? Was he in it somewhere?

Anyway, here's the trailer if you're interested:



10 comments:

  1. I had fun meetings you guys for the movie and ice cream. Thanks for inclusion me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad I missed it. Since I haven't read the book I doubt the differences would bug me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: When you do go see, I'll be curious to know what you think!

      Delete
  3. I looked online to try to find the Dashner cameo. I don't think he had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami: Hmm... maybe it's only a first movie thing.

      Delete
  4. Since I haven't read the book, I don't think the differences will bug me. I think I might actually like it since I love zombies and violence doesn't bother me. I'm excited to see it! Good to know, though, that the book isn't the same since I was waiting to read the books until after the movies to make sure it gave people the closure they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni: I think as far as movies go, it's pretty good!

      Delete
  5. I just saw it today. And though I haven't read the books, I somehow knew that it wasn't like the book... I almost texted you to say, "I didn't know this was a zombie book!" And those weren't Walking Dead Zombies, those were World War Z zombies. FAST! The worst kind of zombie! It was weird... And since they seem to pluck out their eyes, they are lead by their sense of smell, as I noticed several sniffing the air as they ran at faster than their decayed legs could keep up speeds? And that end, UGH! Man, any thoughts I had of this having a little bit of romance in them are gone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megs: Yes, the cranks are basically zombies. Yes, they were fast! Yes, there's not much romance. I need to bug Mr. Dashner (and Mr. Wells too!) about that....good stories.. MORE ROMANCE!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails