Now, before I go on, Jenny and I have a history, a LONG history of being reading buddies, and we have found over the years that we are on the same page regarding some books and authors (Markus Zusak for one!) and on completely different pages regarding others! We've found this to be quite the fun thing to explore and dissect a bit. In fact, we've decided it's finally time to make it an official thing on our blogs. We'll be debuting this thing tomorrow and explain more about what our thoughts are, but as a preview, I wanted to share with those of you who missed it, this post from a month ago that sparked the idea and made is get this ball rolling.
And so I give you the copied and pasted post (with permission!) from Jenny's "highlight" of Utah author Brandon Sanderson:
The reason my highlight choice is so shocking is because I really, REALLY do not like this man. Still, he has quite the nerdy following and is probably one of the biggest known Utah authors. So in traditional Jenny style I thought I'd list all the reasons I really just can't stand the guy. Ready?
1. I don't speak THAT dialect of nerd.
2. I don't like his books
Pretty good reason, right? Well, not really but let me explain. Sanderson seems like a nice guy but he has this self satisfied, arrogant, pat himself on the back personality and it's so out of control it shows up in his writing. Like this: "Look at me! Look at my books! Look at this world I built! Oh wait, I'm supposed to have likable characters? I could cut my books in half by leaving out all the flashy, attention seeking details? But...my world building is so awesome! Not to mention my magical system! LOOK AT IT!!!"
3. He actually knows enough about these books to have been chosen to finish the series
Need I say more? Sheesh! He's probably got them memorized. *cough cough* geek *cough"
I'll stop now before a nerdy lynch mob with greasy hair shows up in their flooder pants, waving their pointy elbows around like a chicken and threatening to use D&D like powers on me. ;) I've seen Sanderson's house, people. It's huge. Obviously the man is talented and earns lots of money. Making anything I have to say about him moot.
So there you have it, folks, my weird highlight on that "smug" SOB Sanderson. :)
And this is was my rebuttal in her comments of that post:
1. What's THAT kind of nerd? Whatever it is, I guess I'm it!! :) I embrace all my nerd forms. DFTBA!!! Nerdfighters for the win!!!! Live long and prosper! May the force be with you!!!
2. It's so weird how I feel so opposite about his books! The world building is amazing and when reading the books I feel immersed and not explained to. Some authors feel a need to explain all, like I can't figure it out by just reading... he does NOT explain and just puts you in the world and you figure it out. THAT's how I see it anyway! And his worlds really are amazing so if he tends to feel proud about it... I say go for it dude!
3. I have no idea what to say for this point... LOL! These books are not for everyone that's for sure. But to have done what he's done is amazing, whether you like the books or not. To have landed that gig, seriously. Amazing. And from what I hear, everyone who has read his concluding books love them way better than the originals. So that's also pretty amazing.
And there you have my come back. Not as snarky as I would have liked, but I tried. I'm too tired to be snarky today! But I stand by him. He does have a swagger, he knows he is loved by legions of adoring nerds, but I do think he's earned it and worked hard for it. You have to give it to him that he set out this goal back in the day and to have reached it with such success. It's cool. It really is.
As you can see, we have feelings! And this is just the beginning! Stay tuned tomorrow for the first official Suey/Jenny debate and the debut of a new feature! We'd love for you to get involved by chiming in with your thoughts about whatever topic we're debating and letting us know which side you fall down on. Also, we're open to suggestions for a topic to debate.
And so, let's practice.... what do you think of Brandon Sanderson? :)