Starring: Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen
Rating: MG 13
My Rating: Two thumbs up
I started worrying a little when we decided to go to this movie. I'd heard both good and bad things about it. Some loved it, some thought it was boring. And since I wanted to pay the money to go to the Imax (with a crowd of family in tow) I really didn't want to waste my money on a boring movie.
I shouldn't have worried. It was awesome. The 3D Imax high frame rate thing was amazing. We truly felt like we were in the movie. The fact that my husband actually fell asleep during it doesn't mean anything, right? Everyone else loved it and sat through the nearly three hours without problem!
What I loved:
- That we get to know the dwarves better. And the elves actually. Basically, there was good character development.
- The barrel ride and fight. Cool effects.
- That Kili had a story line.
- That Sauron was introduced to the mix.
- That Legolas was "back".
- That Lee Pace had screen time.
- That the dragon was as awesome as expected.
- That there was cool elf parkour going on!
- There were girls (well, a girl) and a romance, sort of.
- That when the dragon breathed fire, we the audience actually felt it.
- And so much more!
What didn't bother me:
- That so much of this is not in the book.
- That it's so long.
- That they could heat up and melt gold so fast with machinery that had been sitting there forever and ever.
- That Legolas looked a little too old.
And I loved the credit song. Take a listen:
And there's the trailer if you'd like: