Thursday, July 18, 2013

Book Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Book: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Genre: YA Supernatural
Rating:★★★★☆
For: Fun
From: Bought for my Kindle

As with the other books I've been reading lately, this one has been on my radar forever it seems. I knew nothing about it except everyone was always swooning over the love interest. So yes, I was curious as to why!

Well, first of all, there's his name, Daemon. I mean, that's a good start right there, don't you think? :) And then he's definitely got that dark mysterious thing going on. Add to that his apparent stand offish-ness, and his "I'm a jerk" facade, and yes, you have the makings a pretty intriguing guy! (Who doesn't, by the way, look at all like the guy on the cover, at least in my head.)

Much of this book fills the same old same old formula. The new girl, Katy, moves in and starts at a new high school. She has trouble fitting in but makes a couple friends. One of those friends lives next door, along with her twin brother.

It turns out that she can't stand this boy, well, she thinks she can't and he makes her crazy, but of course, you know that really they are sparking with intense chemistry and tension.

And then she starts finding out who they REALLY are and how she suddenly fits in to the whole picture somehow and the world must be saved! (Gah, I only read it a week or so ago and already I can't remember the details! My dumb brain!)

But here's the thing. I found myself truly enjoying this one and the cliches were fun and not annoying and the big reveal was a little different than expected and the swoon worthy bits were pretty... swoon worthy. I can see why everyone has been so gaga over this character and his....mmmmm.... appeal.

So that was fun.

But beware Twilight haters, this has a lot in common with that book. A lot. So depending on your mood or inclination, you will love it or hate it. As for me, I leaned on the love it side. I must have been in the right mood.

By the way, is this author a book blogger? Either she was in a former life, or she still is, or she is very familiar with our little community because she threw in many many book blogger-isms. So that was fun too. It makes us book bloggers really relate to this main character in a whole new way!

Bottom line: Despite its cliches, I ended up totally enjoying this fun and crazy story! I know there's more in the series, I'll be keeping an eye out for more good Kindle deals!

Other Reviews:

Blech I hate bad boys. But…damn you Jennifer L. Armentrout, I sort of love Daemon. From Anna Reads

He was just a jerk. He would have a rare tender moment with Katy in one scene then totally acting like she’s nobody the next. Not acceptable. Not sexy and definitely not cool. From Muggle-Born

I definitely recommend picking it up for the fun times and watching a really cute love story develop. From Bookalicio.us

This book was painfully like Twilight. I try really hard not to compare the paranormal romance books I read to the “saga,” but here it is just glaringly obvious. From Reutreads


1 comment:

  1. I read the first 30 pages or so of this one and just about gagged...are we surprised? Not really. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails