Friday, July 24, 2009

Review: The Road by Cormac McCarthy



Review: The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Genre: Dystopian
Review: A
For: TBR and Pulitzer Project (2007 winner )

I wanted to embed the trailer for the upcoming movie to illustrate the scariness and gut-wrenching feeling of this book. But, it's disabled of course, so click here for The Road trailer if you're interested.

After hearing about this one for, I don't know, at least a year now, I was really anxious to read it. But, I had no idea what to expect really. That's because most of you that have reviewed it seem to either love it or hate it. So yet again, it was another one of those books I was a little nervous about.

So what category do I fall in now that I've read it? Hopefully there's a middle ground (I almost said "road" but decided that would be too much) for some of us because I neither loved nor hated it!

For those not yet familiar with the story, it's actually very simple. There's been an apocalyptic event years before the story begins, and there's only a few survivors left. Two of them, a dad and his young son, are among them, and their whole existence is walking down the road, trying to survive. Some of the stuff they come across and have to deal with is simply awful. Very scary in fact. This is the part I didn't like so much.

But the relationship between these two is wonderful and beautiful.... and so so sad. And their perseverance to survive is inspirational. This, as you know, is the part I enjoyed.




So tell me, if you've read The Road, did you love it, hate it, or fall somewhere in the middle? Do you plan on seeing the movie?

Other Reviews:

16 comments:

  1. I am completely in the middle. Loved the writing, but found it beyond depressing. I don't think I will be able to watch the movie (that makes me sad because I absolutely love Viggo).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I abandoned this book last year. I loved the first 35 pages or so, then stopped because my husband mentioned McCarthy was often graphically violent in his novels and that sort of thing doesn't sit well with me. I waited until I could talk to my sis-in-law (who recommended it) and see if it had any major violence, but by the time I talked to her, my interest in the book had completely waned. I realized the only reason I'd found it interesting at all was the page-turning quality of breaking up the sections every couple paragraph. It ended up feeling like a very smart marketing technique, rather than a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book. I've added your link to my post.

    http://www.savvyverseandwit.com/2008/02/down-desolate-road.html

    I really loved the depth of this novel and can't wait to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been avoiding this book because for a while there it was just so everywhere. Now with a movie coming, I don't see the buzz dying down for a while. Maybe I'll get around to reading it. Someday. Eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in the middle too. I read it quickly and was drawn to the story, but it was depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think anything could convince me to touch mccarthy again after The Crossing in my post-modern class. Gag me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm one of the few people who read it and hated it. I didn't think it was believable at all. Too many times they were on the brink of starvation and found food just in the nick of time. I didn't find it depressing or gut-wrenching. Just unrealistic, the fact that people survived but no animals? no greenhouses? the cannibal thing, didn't buy into it for one second. The ending was dumb too. So, um, yeah, sorry to be so negative. But I'll probably watch the DVD (for free) when it comes to my library, just so I can see if it makes a better movie than book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this book, but yet I didn't. It was pretty depressing... It didn't make my best of lists, but I didn't hate it. It was just a weird book for me to fit into a category... (I read it last year). Not sure on the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I'm ever asked what fiction book has touched me the most (positive or negative) - I would say THE ROAD. I rated it a 4.25/5 at the time and was left in a funk and dazed for days. It was so bleak and powerful. I just watched the trailer you provded and I'm not so sure I want to see it. Not because of the violence, but because I don't think I want to experience those feelings again. What I saw in the trailer was exactly what I envisioned in my mind. YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read it, yet. Because it's a book that gets such polarized reviews, I decided to get in line at Paperback Swap. I think I'm about #300 in line. Maybe another 3 years and I'll get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really, really liked The Road when I read it. One of those books that haunted me at night.

    Not sure if I'll see the film. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Thanks for all the comments everyone! I posted this review just before I left to go camping in the mountains, so it was very fun to come back and see what everyone thought. I don't usually get many comments on a review, so thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to laugh, Suey: that's the same thing I thought when I saw the trailer! I haven't read the book... yet (there's still time). I'll keep your thoughts in mind, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the book, but I am in no way going through it again with the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking to my review. I thought the book was going to be boring, with them just walking down a road and all, but it was really good. I can't wait for the movie.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this book! But I'm scared that the movie might not do it justice.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails