Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Yet Another Book List

I nabbed this meme from Bookfool because I thought it would be really fun search my brain for answers. And I was right! It was fun!


A book that made you cry: The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. I remember reading this the first time and feeling very weepy at the end and thinking that is weird because up to that point I’d never felt so moved by a book. Since then, it doesn’t take much to make me cry, but I’ve re-read this book and sure enough, I cried again!

A book that scared you: I remember being a little creeped out by The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova but just a little. Blindness by Jose Saramago really freaked me out though.

A book that made you laugh: A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel has some really funny stories. I also remember laughing out loud often while reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynn Truss. How can punctuation be so funny? Go figure.

A book that disgusted you: The Nanny Diaries. I just thought all the characters where disgusting. But I guess that was the whole point of the book. But what really disgusts me is that it’s marketed as a funny book and I didn’t see one funny thing about that whole book. Not one.

A book you liked in elementary school: Wow. So many. But what comes to mind first is the Nancy Drew series. I remember one library day I’d run right over to that section and see what would be next! I also remember reading The Luckiest Girl by Beverly Cleary. I think my first bit of a love story and wow, did I eat it up!

A book you liked in junior high: I can’t remember exactly when I read this book, but I’ll never forget The Enchanted Cup by Dorothy Roberts. My dad randomly picked it off the shelf for me and I couldn’t believe how good it was. All about the love story of Tristan and Isolde. I was completely swept away. I’ve been trying to get my hands on a copy lately, and have only found it on Ebay. I just need to push the button and get it I guess.

A book you liked in high school: Tess of the D’urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. After that I went on to read many more of his books and just loved the tragic element of them all. So good.

A book you hated in high school: There’s not many books that I actually HATE, but I do remember reading The Great Gatsby and I just didn’t get it. I thought it was quite boring and wondered what the big deal was. To this date, I"ve never given it a second try and really I need to, just to see what my older self’s reaction will be.

A book you loved in college: This one was hard because I can’t really remember what I was reading in college. Anyway, I think towards the end of this period of my life, I discovered Anya Seton. The first book I picked up by her was Green Darkness. I loved it! Then I couldn’t get enough of her and read everything the library had by her.

A book that changed your identity: Can’t think of one here really. I was trying to remember a book that marked the point where I knew I was reading because I loved and not because I had to. I think it was during my Little House period, right around 2nd or 3rd grade I imagine. Because of these books, I knew I was a real reader!

Favorite series: Man! This one is way too hard to just name one! Harry Potter, Eragon, Twilight, Inkheart, are all series that I’m DYING for the next to come out.

Favorite Horror book: I don’t read much in this genre, but than I decided that Frankenstein by Mary Shelley would fit. I loved this book. So different from all the movie depictions and the language and prose is incredible.

Favorite Science Fiction book: Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. Amazing book and a great series too.

Favorite Fantasy book: The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. I think all fantasy writes are influenced by these books. They’re the best of the best.

Favorite Mystery book: Another genre I don’t read much of, but I do remember going through an Agatha Christie phase, and I loved Ten Little Indians especially.

Favorite Biography: John Adams by David McCollough. I totally got wrapped up in this story and the length didn’t bother me a bit.

Favorite Coming of Age: I love them all! Okay, what came to mind was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith and more recently A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park.

Favorite Classic: This is one of my favorite genres, so it’s hard to pick a favorite here too, but Great Expectations by Charles Dickens is somewhere there at the top! I read it for the first time in 8th grade and didn’t understand a thing. Then a few years ago I read it again, and loved every bit of it. It has it all, mystery, mistaken identity, love, betrayal.... everything.

Favorite Romance: Besides my current obsession with Twilight, the other one that came to mind is The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye. An amazing love story.

A book not on the list: Are you kidding?!! :) Ummmm..... well..... hmmmm.....there’s just too many......

4 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to put this up on my blog tomorrow. Have to THINK about the answers!! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great to know!I have The Far Pavilions on my TBR challenge read. I think it is July's book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was totally fun reading. I'm so glad you decided to do this meme!! I love Ender's Game and didn't even think of it when I was writing up my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I know what you mean about The Great Gatsby. When I read it in high school, I was like, "yeah, so?" I just didn't see what was so amazing. I did love some of his others, though, like short stories and This Side of Paradise.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails