Thursday, July 6, 2017

Book Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Book: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick 
Genre: YA (maybe even NA?) romance
Rating:★★★☆☆

This is one of the books I got with my winning gift card. I was hoping for a sweet boy next door romance. I love those. I really do. But.. it wasn't a very sweet book. I mean, it had it's moments of sweetness, but overall, it wasn't sweet.

It's about this girl who lives with her mom and and sister (but her sister goes away for the summer and is pretty much not in the book) and this one summer, her mom becomes very involved in a campaign for senator and though are girl is busy working for summer, she is left alone a lot.

All her life, she has spied on the family next door. They have a life completely different from hers .And it's a life her mom has ridiculed and made fun and looked at with disdain all these years. She has wanted her kids to have nothing to do with them. But our girl has found them fascinating.

They have a gazillion kids and have a busy chaotic loud life. She is so intrigued. Well, one day she finally talks to one of the boys. (Gah, I already forgot how this went down!) And pretty much falls in love right then because he is beautiful. He's the third in the line up of kids and he is so very different from any boy she's known.

They become friends and then more. All without her mom knowing.

So there's that. There's the fact that something weird is going with her mom and her new boyfriend. There is some strained relationship issue going on with her best friend. There is the fact that, oh man... should she and the dude have sex? And then.. to top it all off, something happens and now she is mixed up in a problem that she has no idea how to fix!

Sigh. It could have been better. But it was disappointing. I mean. I still got into it for the most part and enjoyed the romance (not the "oh we've known each other for a week or so now, should we have sex?" part) and stuff, but it was mostly just tiring. Dang it.

Let's see if the next one is better, shall we?





6 comments:

  1. I'd find it tough reading too! you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover looks like a Kasie West book. Sorry this didn't turn out as good as you were hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So more of an issue-y book? I've had this one on my shelf forever. Maybe I'll try it now. You've intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry it wasn't as good as you wanted it to be. I'm like Jenny, though. I'm intrigued and I think I might like it so I put it on my TBR, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that this one wasn't as sweet as you'd hoped! Sounds a little heavy for a summer read, as I like my beach reads to be light and fluffy. Hope the next one is better!

    Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this one yet, but it does sound exhausting. I hate it when a book sounds like a cute, light-hearted story and ends up being not-so-sweet. Definitely disappointing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails