Friday, July 1, 2016

Movie Review: Me Before You

Movie: Me Before You
Genre: Drama
Starring:  Emilia Clarke, Sam Claflin
Rating: Two thumbs up

Wow, but I've heard a lot about this movie. Go see it! Don't go see it! It's awesome! It's crap! Yeah, it's one of those that one needs to go and decide for themselves!

We read the book for book club just recently. I liked it fine. It was good. It was sad. It made a person think. I figured the movie would be very similar.

And yes it was. It was good. It was sad... and makes a person think. Mostly about how you are living your life and do you take things for granted? Are you thankful for every day that you have? Do you love the people around you with all your heart?

The movie followed the book through the story of Lou who gets a job taking care of Will, who is a quadriplegic. Will is bitter. He's in pain. He's sad. He wants to kill himself. Lou cheers him up, he starts smiling, they end up falling love. But.. he still wants to kill himself.

Everyone hates this aspect of the movie and book. It's terrible and tragic and sad. But it I love that it ends with the message that we should all go and live our lives BOLDLY!  This.. .THIS is the message of the book and movie... not that disabled people have no lives and can't go live boldly. It's a message for all of us to rethink our moaning and groaning and get busy living.

And I really like this message.

And I really want to know... what do you think it means to live life boldly? And how will we know if we are doing it?


P.S.

These two did a fabulous job with the acting. I loved them in these roles. Also, I loved the music. Yep. It was awesome.


Here's the trailer if you've somehow missed it:


7 comments:

  1. I loved the movie. I thought it was fantastic. It makes me want to reread the book. And, like you, I thought Sam Claflin and Emilia Clarke did a great job! I don't think they could've been better cast. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, I'll probably see this but I can't promise not to roll my eyes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dont you see any problem with a movie about living boldly where the lead character gives up? Maybe if they had showed some mental health care or therapy his choice would feel more valid but I really found it repulsive film

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dont you see any problem with a movie about living boldly where the lead character gives up? Maybe if they had showed some mental health care or therapy his choice would feel more valid but I really found it repulsive film

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this book for the exact reason you stated -- it made me think. It made me look at an issue differently than I had before. I'll probably watch the movie eventually, but I'm not rushing. Glad the acting is decent and that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked the movie too (and the music! I've been listening to the soundtrack ever since we saw this) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy: AW!!! I haven't looked it up yet! i need to do that!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails