Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Movie Review: Concussion

Movie: Concussion
Genre: Real life drama
Starring: Will Smith, Alec Baldwin
Rating: PG 13
My Rating: One thumb up

Here's the story of a dude from Africa, a really really smart dude, a doctor, who ends up in Pittsburgh I think it is. He starts making a connection between star football players who have died because of depression and suicide and the fact that they've pretty much lost their minds before they kill themselves. He thinks about what concussions do to the brain and he thinks about how pretty much playing football has ruined them and killed them in the end.

He tells people about what he's thinking and you know, the NFL doesn't seem to like it! Yeah, so this is the story of that fight and what ends up happening. Which, I will spoil just a bit here... is not much.

Fascinating story. Still, the movie was a little slow for me and I fought to stay awake. But still, a fascinating story.


Will Smith and the movie director with the real life doctor who's featured in this story.

Bottom Line: Definitely watch if you are into learning history and real life stories and if you enjoy Will Smith no matter what he does.

Here's the trailer:


6 comments:

  1. I actually enjoyed this movie because it was about something I hadn't known about. I was angry that nothing changed! Stupid NFL and football fans. Are you kidding me? Human life falls lower in your opinion than a game? Wow. It really made me angry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard a segment on NPR about the book, not the movie, calling out concussions and NFL and brain damage in football players. How can players NOT end up with brain injuries after all that trauma on the field to their noggins?

    I hate that the movie did not satisfy or bring about as much change as should have occurred. I know for me it was hard to watch football this past season and not think about what I heard and read. But I do love me some Will Smith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely watch sports movies because I'm just not into that, but I do love Will Smith. Too bad this one was a little slow. It's hard to enjoy a movie that puts you to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Will Smith, but I don't watch sports movies very much and so I don't think I'll watch this one. And, it's sad that nothing changed but it doesn't surprise me. People in this country love their entertainment and damn the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched this last night and really liked the movie, even though it had me very angry at the NFL (although I have to admit I'm already not a fan of them). I saw this as less of a sports movie than a power of corporations movie, but I've heard the book is amazing and am definitely going to be picking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do enjoy Will Smith and as a lover of football who is having some trouble with loving football as more an more comes out about the lasting effects, I definitely think I'll be watching this one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails