Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Review: Marvel's Daredevil Season 1



I know that it's sort of a thing now for Netflix to create and produce their own TV shows. I find it a strange and cool movement in the TV world. Until now, I hadn't watched any of their shows. They tend to be a bit rough for my taste. So I haven't had an opinion on the whole Netflix making TV shows thing.

But as you know, I have a soft spot for superheroes. I have no idea why. I never read the comics. But I find the whole pattern and cycle of the lowly kid (usually) rising to some sort of power and strength to fight the bad guys endearing and cool.

Which is why I decided to give Daredevil a try. That, and the fact that a ton of people were raving about it.

So these past few weeks I've watched all 13 episodes and here are my thoughts and observances about the experience:


  • Yes, it's dark. Yes, it's violent. But I figured if I could handle The Walking Dead, I could handle this. Which turned out true for the most part. There were a few times I had to close my eyes, I admit. But just a few...
  • Charlie Cox is awesome perfect for this role. How he can play a blind guy so perfect, I have no idea. I watched an interview where he said he followed a blind guy around for days and paid special attention to what he did with his eyes. And let me just say, he's figured it out. 
  • And then there's the fighting and cool parkour type scenes, I'm wondering how much of this Charlie does on his own. But my guess is a lot. So cool.
  • And then there's the typical sidekick character that somehow ends up stealing the scene more often that not. It seems all these shows have them. Foggy (played by Eldon Hensen) is wonderful and endearing and funny and perfect.
  • What I especially love about these shows is the how they give the villain such a back story that makes you think, even for a split second, that he is justified in his actions. The villain in this show is ruthless (it's his scenes where I have to close my eyes most of the time!) and yet. His back story will rip your heart out.
  • Backstories for the Daredevil himself, Matthew Murdock, are also especially rough. I've really learned the power of backstories from this show.
  • And also the power of vulnerability. That's the bottom line thing I think that turns me onto shows like this. How vulnerable the characters are. Powerful, yet vulnerable. I love it. 
  • I'm so happy that the news is out that there will be a season 2. Yes!
  • And let's hope they have Matt smile a lot during this season. Swoon!
A smiling Matthew Murdock.



Let me know if you've watched it and what you think. Or if you decide to give it a try and what you think. All I know is, it's been a week since I watched the last episode and I miss these characters and keep thinking about them. It's going to be a long wait until they are back again!

Here's the trailer if you're interested:


12 comments:

  1. I've still only seen a few episodes. I do plan on finishing the season though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: let me know what you think when you do!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't watched it yet. Corey started, though. I want to watch it. I just need to take the time as always...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni: I hope you can get to it. I want to know what you think!

      Delete
  3. I haven't watched all of them yet but i like what I've seen so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serena: Yep! I'm missing it so bad this week!

      Delete
  4. I hadn't watched any of the Netflix shows either until Daredevil and it turned out fantastic. We watched it in one weekend. That is the only thing that kind of sucked about it. Since they released the whole series at once you have to wait forever to watch the next season if you binge watch it like we did. Otherwise great great show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie: One weekend! wow! i was just watching another interview with Charlie Cox and he said that's exactly what they want people to do... binge on it! LOL!

      Delete
  5. I was able to watch two episodes of this show, and while I loved the story, it was too violent for me. When my husband struggles with some of the scenes, I know it isn't for me. However, he LOVED this show. I think he went through the entire season in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm interested in this. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started watching it a few days ago. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to watch this series but have been hesitant because I know it gets quite gory. I can handle violence and gore in books, but not so much on the big or little screen.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails