Monday, April 20, 2015

Book Review Discussion: Remake by Ilima Todd

Book: Remake by Ilima Todd
Genre: YA Dystopian
Rating:★★★★☆
For: Fun, Supporting Local Authors
From: I bought this one at Costco

Short Synopsis: The main character, Nine, is trying to figure out if she wants to be a boy or a girl. In this future world, when kids turn 17 they can decide to become whoever they want, including changing their gender and their physical looks. Nine and her friend Theron are about to become remade but she is really stressing about this decision. However,  on the way to the facility, there is an accident, and she is washed ashore to a whole new world. One where people embrace who they are when they are born (and that whole being born thing is fascinating too!) and live in families with parents and siblings. All this is new to Nine and she's not sure she really likes it.

My Response: I really liked this one! Very interesting premise, especially given the hot topics of families and gender in this day and age. And while the author's viewpoints on this topics are pretty obvious, I never felt banged over the head with them. In fact, it's actually quite thought provoking on many levels. What makes a family a family? What makes a person who they are? What are all the different kinds of love? Anyway, I was totally engaged and read the book in only a couple of sittings. Also, it ended well enough that I figured it's a stand alone but I've just found out that it's actually a trilogy. Which makes me quite happy!

Bottom Line: I really enjoyed this fun book and interesting take on yet another dystopian society.

Let's Talk About: your feelings on books that tackle hot topics. Do you like it? Are you interested in what an author has to say about such things through their stories? Or would you rather not think about these sorts of things when you're reading? Do you worry about that fine line between preaching and interesting?  As for me, I think it's really interesting if it's done well.  I enjoyed how this one was done.

Other Reviews:

Like I said, I loved Remake! The world building, the characters, the plot twists, everything. The only thing I disliked was that the book ended. From Minding Spot

A post-overpopulation dystopia, Remake is in many ways quite typical of the genre: our young heroine grows up in relative isolation, unaware of any alternatives to her controlled community, until circumstances force her to consider her place in the world. From Rachel Cotterill Book Reviews

If you like dystopian novels with romance, pick this one up. It's different enough and will immerse you in its story. From Library of Clean Reads

I fully believe this book should beat Hunger Games in every shape and form; no obvious plot holes, better heroine and love story then any dystopian book on the market, and overall a universe that keeps you wanting more. From SweetEnd Book Reviews


5 comments:

  1. Oh my god, I love the idea. That one is definitely wandering on my TBR! I'm kinda hesitant about purchasing this one right away because it's an indie book. I haven't really had good experiences with indie publishers so far, I'm always a bit cautious when it comes to that. The premise is definitely something I'm interested in though and haven't seen EVER in traditional publishing before. (a shame, really)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally thought after reading the synopsis that this one sounded agenda-y but I thought it was going to be about loving who you are not about families. Maybe it's a bit of both. Still, Too write agenda book and still be good...that's impressive. Maybe I'll check out out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked this one. It was way too agenda-y (to use Jenny's word) for me. Even if I agree with an author's agenda, I much prefer a subtle message. For me, this one didn't have it. I wasn't wild about the writing, world-building or characters either. So, yeah. I'm glad it worked for you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just finished making the book trailer for Remake! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9loevy-pQI

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails