Saturday, October 18, 2014

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon October 2014: Updates and Challenges


Hour 18 Update:

This will be me last update for the day. I plan to go to bed soon and sleep for the last six hours of the thon. It's been a fabulous day of reading around here and we've had a blast!

What I’m (we’re) reading now: I've started Lily Blue, Blue Lily. Strange little book so far and I'm not sure I'm getting it! My daughter finished Blood of Olympus, started and finished The Loser's Guide to Life and Love, and has started Under the Never Sky. Her friend finished Harry Potter #1!

How many pages read since last update: Not sure... a couple hundred?

How many pages read total: nearly 500 maybe?

Books finished since last update: Finished The Infinite Sea and Wimpy Kid #7

How many minutes/hours read since last update: several hours.. hours and hours!

What we are listening to: I put in a random CD mix... with real CDs on my real CD player. What a concept!

What we are eating: we stopped awhile back for pizza, chips and salsa. Have been snacking on the caramel popcorn I made yesterday, and candy. I feel sick!!

Distractions: the kitten continues to drive us a bit crazy... sleepy eyes are a both too, and we had some visitors awhile back which was good and needed distraction!

I took a picture of the mess we've made today:

But... where are the readers???
*************************************************

Pet Parade Challenge:




Color Cover Challenge:

We went a little crazy and did a few more than four! :)

************************************ Mid Event Survey

1. What are you reading right now? Just finished The Infinite Sea. So good!
2. How many books have you read so far? That makes two books finished. 
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Hmmm... I think maybe I'll start the Lily Blue book. (I can never remember how it goes Lily Blue Blue Lily... or Blue Lily Lily Blue!!! )
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Yes but not many. Way less than my normal readathon experiences go. Mostly just fighting the tired eyes!
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How freaking fast the day goes. I't CRAZY!

******************************
Show It Off Challenge:

I've showed it off before, but I can easily do it again... my most treasured book signing:



******************************************
Name Your Readathon Challenge:


The Infinite Sea of Impossible Memories.



Update Hour Seven:

What I’m (we’re) reading now: The Infinite Sea.... my co-readers are reading Harry Potter and The Blood of Olympus... though they have both abandoned me but will hopefully come back soon!



How many pages read since last update: 80 or so


How many pages read total: 210 ish?


Books finished since last update: none since last update!


How many minutes/hours read since last update: probably a good hour... or hour and a half


What we are listening to: I switched to some CDs which include classical, Beatles and Lord of the Rings


What we are eating: I broke out the M and M's and Kit Kats....chocolate!!

Distractions: a shower, a cat, some family members, random life

********************************
Pausing to do some mini challenges and an update!!!


SHELFIE!

Weird reading position!!!
(not me!)
HOUR FOUR UPDATE

What I’m (we’re) reading now: Finished Maus and starting The Infinite Sea... I think


How many pages read since last update: Maus II was 136 pages


How many pages read total: 136


Books finished since last update: One! Maus II

How many minutes/hours read since last update: 2 1/2 hours or so...with a few stops and starts


What we are listening to: Pandora New Age station


What we are eating: coffee cake, apple juice and a banana

Distractions: the kitty!!!


****************************************


The Readathon begins now! Here I'll post my updates and challenges and thoughts and whatever...throughout the day with the newest thing at the top. I can't wait to get started! I'm optimistic about getting a lot of reading done this time around. 

Intro Meme:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?

UTAH!

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?

I would have to say... The Infinite Sea. Very much looking forward to that one.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?

The caramel popcorn that I made yesterday and some chocolate to go with.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!

I've been blogging for seven and a half years. I have four kids, two married (this past year) and two still at home. My youngest is reading with me today, along with some of her friends. I plan to participate in my second NaNoWriMo also in a couple of weeks and I can't wait for that. All these blogging/bookish/writing events make me happy!

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?

I'll be doing nothing different from all the readathon's I've already participated in. Just reading and having fun and enjoying it and without stress! I have learned to add graphic books to my pile so it feels like I'm progressing more than I normally do. :)


15 comments:

  1. Oh how fun that there's a group to join you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to have a reading companion today! I can't talk any of my real life children, spouse, friends, fellow librarians, etc. into actually participating in the readathon. Sigh. Oh well. Maybe next year.

    Enjoy your 'thon!

    If you need a little singing boost as you read along: Here's Singing My Way Through the Readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic post and update! I love the shelfie and reading position photos. :D Like you, I am also participating in NaNoWriMo, so am very excited about it because it's my first one. I have The Infinite Sea on my kindle ready to read, and I may just start that today too. I was gripped by The 5th Wave. I'm excited that you'll be reading it. Love Pandora! I usually have movie soundtrack channels on or jazz! -Katie @ Spirit of Children's Literature

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of your pictures! Especially the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at those shelves! and I get you, my cat has been asking for extra attention so he decided to sleep on me while I read. Is cute but I can't feel my legs!! #TeamKing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you all have been having a great time!! Looking forward to hearing more of your updates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back already (worked from oldest to newest) so just seeing your updates. Love the name of your RaT! Great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Color Challenge looks great! Enjoy the rest of the Read-a-Thon! #TeamKing

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun that your baby is reading with you today!! Can't wait for that day to come. ;) And those shelves!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hold the phone...CDs!! I just realized that I don't even have a CD player anymore except for in my car. Oh wait I can play it in my blu-ray player. Phew! Way to go retro. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you've had a good day, and your kitty cat is adorbs! --Andi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good night and rest well. I am happy you had fun

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good night. I hope you had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see you made it through in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm coming over to your house next year for this!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails