This week we celebrated our book club's ten year anniversary! We had a BBQ and lots of desserts and treats and just talked and talked about our book club books and memories.
As part of the evening, I set up as many books as I could find in my house that we read for book club and displayed them. I forgot to take a picture, but here in this over all shot you can see the piles.
I stacked them by the different years we read them. Everyone that came looked through the stacks and were able to instantly pin point when they joined, because everyone remembers the first book they read with the group. I love that!
We asked (and answered) a few questions, such as:
- Longest book we read: The Count of Monte Cristo (unabridged ) at 1276 pages... or if you read the abridged... Middlemarch at 904
- Shortest book: 84 Charring Cross Road at 94 pages
- How many books read? 109
- Most read author? Megan Whelan Turner since we did her whole series one summer. After that it's a tie between Jane Austen, Shannon Hale, Neal Shusterman, Elizabeth Gaskill, J.K. Rowling, etc.
- First book read: The Scarlet Pimpernel
- Most recent book read: Wintergirlsl (which we discussed a little bit and decided it was too depressing)
- Book we all hated: The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All... many also hated 1984.
- Best discussion: The Actor and the Housewife and The Kite Runner
- Some books people wouldn't have read without book club: The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, These is My Words, The Forgotten Garden.... etc. (This list goes on and on!)
- Movies we watched together: The Book Thief, Middlemarch and Pride and Prejudice
- Book we've read twice: The Scarlet Pimpernel
- Book that we want to read again: North and South
Anyway, it was fun!
And the wonderful Jessica from The Bluestocking Society crafted this wonderful memory book for me complete with a list of the books we've read and their covers and then she had everyone write a memory to be included in the back. Some of the funny memories are:
- Fighting about The Actor and the Housewife
- A certain someone reading aloud her favorite kissing scene which had us gasping with laughter!
- Watching Pride and Prejudice together... the whole thing
- Reading new genres
- Have husbands join in
- Throwing Twilight books on the floor!
Ah, it's been fun. Here are some more pictures from the night:
And the GIF that I promised everyone my phone would do automatically!
|LOL! Can you see Sam just appear in the picture?|
And Jenni throws her phone so my son can take a picture for her?
And I'm telling my husband HOW to take the picture?
And how some people don't move at all?
Here's who's who:
Kathy, Tessa (with Sam behind her), Trina, Kim, Jessica, Jenny, Suey, Michelle, Bethany
Jenni Elyse, Jessica, Kami and Julie
missing were another Jen, and Jayne... and I think that's pretty much everyone that usually comes!
Here's to ten more years! And at least a hundred more books!