Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Blogging Buddies and a Bookstore


When we decided to make Arizona our spring break destination, I knew that one of the top things on my list would be to visit Changing Hands... a bookstore that I've heard so much about located in this area. And then, when I knew I'd be visiting this store, I thought why not suggest to a couple of my closer Arizona blogging buddies that they just happen to be there at the same time? I mean, how perfect would that be?

So the suggestion was made and the response was favorable and last night, it happened!

But first I wandered the store, of course, and everyone is right, it's a fun one! I bought a book for me (The House at Tyneford so I can hopefully join this read along still) and book for Toto (she wanted a D.J. MacHale book called Morpheus Road: The Light) and then we both fell in love with shirts that say "Fictional Character" on them. So that comprised our purchases.

Meanwhile, we loved picking out all the Utah authors' books and saying "I know her, I know him, and wow, look! They have that here too!" Brandon Mull had just been there the night before and there was a huge stack of his signed books there. While browsing the teen section, an older guy (with oxygen tank in hand) came up to us and said, "If you like teen books, I have just the one for you!" We sarcastically said back, "What... did you write it or something! LOL." And he said, "No... it's called Variant by Robison Wells." We got excited and said, "Hey! We know him! He's from Utah where we are from! Whatdaya know!" So an interesting conversation ensued, part of which we told him that he should also read his brother's stuff (Dan Wells) and he said the title puts him off (I am Not a Serial Killer.) Oh, well.

Then I began my loitering by the door in hopes some book bloggers would see me and recognize me and say hey Suey! Which is exactly what happened when Susan from Bloggin 'bout Books walked in! Yay! And then shortly after, Melissa from One Librarian's Book Reviews, and former Utah Blogger and IRL friend walked in. We talked for quite awhile there in the entrance, hoping and waiting for one last blogger. I knew she would be late, but after awhile, we decided to go to the cafe next door and eat and hope she would find us.

Which is exactly what she did! Suddenly, there was Gaye from Inside a Book saying, hey guys? Is it you? She'd been stalking all the tables in the cafe trying to figure out which group looked like bloggers! I'm so glad she found us! She'd been hosting an author event at her school and came as fast as she could.

Anyway, it was so fun to meet these three favorite blogging buddies, two for the first time and Melissa too. Just before they showed up I was feeling nervous and wondering what I'd gotten myself into, but then it all turned out okay and we talked and talked and talked until the cafe closed and they kicked us out and then we talked some more on the sidewalk until we forced the night to be done. I hate that part.

Thanks guys for showing up at the bookstore at the same time I was there!

Here we are in front of the bookstore after it closed and we couldn't get back in!
Melissa, Susan, me and Gaye

14 comments:

  1. Look at you! On vacation and still posting about it faster than me. I still haven't downloaded my photo yet. Sheesh :) So fun to hang out with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa: We are having a very down, very slow, very lazy and very nice morning! :)

      Delete
  2. It was TONS of fun, Suey. Thanks for organizing our little get together. I loved meeting you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome that you all were able meet up and visit! I have yet to meet a fellow book blogger IRL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I've always wanted to go there. That's so cool that you met up with other bloggers. It's so cool to meet people in real life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you met up with other bloggers and visited a fun bookstore. I never used to think to visit book stores while on vacation. I do now and it's so fun! Wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so fun to read about, Suey! I almost met up with some in England a few years ago, but I had computer problems and couldn't get into London as often as I thought, so I missed meeting them. I've always hoped I could get back there to do try it again. Your post reminds me of how much fun it can be! It's great to hear you all had such a good time too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to go to this bookstore!! Where abouts in Arizona is it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, how cool is this?! I love that you just all got together like this and it sounds like such a fab time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun thing to do on vacation! Isn't it amazing how much the Internet and things like book blogs can connect us?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a blast!! Thanks for making me feel so welcome. I promise that next time I WON'T be tardy.

    What a fun night!
    PS - You're as cool IRL as you are here. What a coincidence.....(wink, wink!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love meeting Book Bloggers! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww! I love it. What a fun thing to do on your trip. I'm especially jealous that you got to meet up with Melissa. I miss her!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails