This list, as promoted at The Broke and the Bookish today, may look a bit like the list I made yesterday, only listing the negatives. Well, yes, maybe so, but instead this list instead of being about general bookish things, is about the books and stories themselves. Make sense? And I'm rarely negative around here, I think, so maybe you might find this rant of sorts a bit refreshing? I guess we'll see.
Top Ten Book Pet Peeves
1. What I really hate in a book is that unnecessary F word. Yeah, that one. I feel, usually, like it's thrown in there for shock factor, which bugs me. If it is truly part of the character, then I can handle a few, just to let me know that's what that character is like. But tons? I don't need that, thanks.
2. I also am bugged by over preachiness or a book with an obvious agenda to push. Turns me off in an instant and makes my eyes glaze over and I'm gone. Yucky yucky yucky.
3. Cliffhangers are freaking frustrating! Granted, sometimes they make a book very memorable, but usually they just make you crazy in the end.
4. Okay, so footnotes are sometimes quite helpful, especially in classic books. But if they are at the end of the story, and I have to flip back and forth and back and forth, I'll usually skip them. I wish they were at the bottom of the page instead. Because I do find that stuff interesting, but not enough for all that flipping.
5. Books that are degrading to a certain group of people, just for the "fun" of it, where it has nothing to do with the story, make me crazy.
6. I hate books that are in tiny print, especially where that print ends up lost in the binding! I'm having this issue right now with my Lord of Chaos book and it's not fun at all.
7. Books that have a printing flaw.. such as the time I was reading along in a book and suddenly discovered there were 30 pages missing! Yeah, that's just not cool.
8. Another thing that bugs me is when one genre thinks it's better than another genre. Okay, so books themselves don't really think this, but readers do. And I wish they wouldn't. All genres are created equal. Some writing is better than others, some stories are better than other, some characters are better than others. But not genres. What say you?
9. Along that same vein, I hate it when we all suddenly decide to bash certain books. And I've talked about this before, so I'm guessing you'll know exactly what I mean. First they are popular and everyone likes them, suddenly we find it it's not cool to like them anymore, so then we bash mercilessly. Bugs me.
10. But what I hate most of all is when people say either of these two things.... "I don't have time to read" or "There's nothing good to read." Oh boy. Yes, both of these things will get me going in a heartbeat!
So how about you? Anything you'd like to vent about book-wise? What are YOUR book pet peeves?