Monday, November 29, 2010

Review: Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody

Book: Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: A-
For: Fun
From: The library


My friend Jenny has been loving this series lately, and so I decided I had to find out what it was all about. This first book is quite a small thing and I figured I could fit it in the line up quite easily and read it quickly. However, sad to say, it still took me awhile to read it. I think it was a mixture of what was going on in real life and because it was a little slow to start and took awhile to get into.  (Also, it may have to do with the fact that she started this book while a teenager.)

The premise of this book is that a long time ago in the history of this society, something happened called the Great White, a nuclear holocaust of some sort. Because of that event, many people have been tainted and have ended up with strange and unique gifts. These people are labeled misfits and are condemned to death or banishment.

One of the locations for banishment is Obernewtyn, a place from which no one has ever returned.

So as you may have guessed, this is where we go with our main character, Elspeth. Once there, she begins to uncover the secrets and corruption of this place. And from there, it all gets quite intriguing! In fact, I think I read most of the whole second half in one sitting. Not only that, I found myself wondering about the characters after finishing, which is always a good sign for wanting to continue with the series, don't you think? Yes. I will be finding out what happens to them.

Bottom line: I really enjoyed it.

Other Reviews:

Presenting Lenore
Bart's Bookshelf
Stainless Steel Droppings

What the author has to say about it:

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad you liked it. Just don't give up on the rest cause they get better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never mentioned it at book group, but I couldn't even get into this one. I never finished it. I guess I should give it another try sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds very compelling! I never heard of the series before.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails