Monday, February 22, 2010

Review: The Hourglass Door by Lisa Mangum


Book: The Hourglass Door by Lisa Mangum

Genre: YA Fantasy

Rating: A


From: Bought at the store during Authorpalooza!


Before I went to the Authorpalooza event a few weeks ago, I'd already heard about this book and knew I wanted to read it soon. So when the author was there, smiling and signing, I quite easily forked out the money, bought it, and bumped it to the top of the pile.

It was a very fun and quick read. And no, there are no vampires or werewolves in it! Even though it does have a bit of a Twilight feel, I think simply because the romance story feels a little familiar in that intense sort of way.

It's about our girl Abby, who falls for the tall, dark and handsome new guy at school after he joins the play she's in charge of, Much Ado About Nothing. His name is Dante, and he's from Italy, and yes, there's quite the aura of mystery about him. For one thing, he'll be around for awhile, then he disappears for awhile. For another thing, he won't talk about himself at all.

He lives with his uncle, who owns the cool, popular teenager hangout where a bunch of his friends have a band that plays there regularly. Abby's friend gets mixed up with this band, particularly one member of it, and she begins to change and act differently. This freaks Abby out, especially since she gets a really weird not-so-good vibe from this band guy in the first place.

So of course she starts investigating and learns some pretty unbelievable things about these guys and not only that, but she discovers that she is somehow completely immersed in the whole crazy situation.

I loved that this book has a whole new take on the "mysterious guy" love story. It was very fast paced and fun, and of course, left the door (ha, get it?) wide open (or perhaps I should say shut) for much more story. Lucky for us, the sequel, The Golden Spiral, comes out soon, May I think. I'll be there.

Bottom line: Loved it!

Other Reviews:





3 comments:

  1. I don't think I knew she was a local author! This one looks good. I'll have to make sure it's on my "local author" list... I'm pretty sure it's already on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good! Thanks for the review and adding to my list of books to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I really had a hard time reading this one. I liked the literary side of it (Dante stuff), but the characters kinda lacked for me. I think I'll pick up the sequel, but I'm not clamoring for it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails