But first, some pictures:
This one is an overview picture of the whole area we occupied at the Golden Corral. We thought we had the banquet room, and would be off by ourselves, but wires must have been crossed and we ended up just with our own little corner. It all worked out.
Here I am trying to be brave and chatting with the authors. In this picture you can see Bree Despain and Emily Wing Smith (facing the camera) and Brodi Ashton and Sydney Salter (backs to the camera) and me on the end. This table laughed non-stop all night long and we all wondered what we were missing. But I'm sure we really didn't want to know what was going on over there!
Bree Despain and Emily Wing Smith pose for the camera. They are too stinkin' cute!
Then Emily stole the camera from my husband and "made" him pose for this picture with Sydney Salter and Brodi Ashton. He tried to get out of it, by Emily would have none of that!
Here's part of the crowd that we managed to reel in for a picture. Alison from So Many Books, So Little Time, me, Natasha from Maw Books, Kim from Good Clean Reads, Cherylynne from Critiquing the World, Shannon Hale, Michelle Teacress , Ann Cannon. Front row: Karen from Typing With My Toes, Melissa from One Librarian's Book Reviews, and Cari from Bookscoops.
And another group shot (yes I ran from group to group!) James Dashner in the back. Ann Cannon, Catie from Book Bound, Emily Wing Smith, me, Sydney Salter, Michelle from Flower Petal Books
Kim from Good Clean Reads was just about as star struck meeting the authors as I was. Here we caught her finally chatting with the two biggies: Shannon Hale and James Dashner.
Another author table (next time we need to mix up authors and bloggers a little better!) with James Dashner and his wife (who I feel bad about not actually meeting and saying hi to) and Shannon Hale, Nikki Mantlya , and Karey Shane.
Highlights of my experience:
- when Ann Cannon said to me "Oh, I've read your blog! I really like it!"
- when Shannon Hale said to me "Suey! I've met you!"
- when I was able to say to Sydney Salter, "Hey, I've just read your book and I loved it!"
- when I finally talked to Melissa from One Librarian's Book Reviews, and Angie from Angieville, Alison from So Many Books, So Little Time, and Becky from One Literature Nut, bloggers I feel like I've known forever
- when Kim from Good Clean Reads said, "I really really love your blog!" and when talking to her felt like talking to a long lost friend.
- when James Dashner didn't say hi but just held out his fist for a "rock it" shake instead.
- when I got to meet and talk to a bunch of new to me bloggers (some new to blogging, some not so new) such as Caitlin from All Things Print, Cherylynne from Critiquing the World, Debbie from Cranberry Fries, Jenni from Jenni Eylse, Michelle from Flower Petal Books, Rachelle from Bibliobabe, Lyn from Barding Well, Catie from Book Bound, Brenda from Brenda Loves Books and Karen from Typing With My Toes.
- when on the way home, my husband said, "You did good" meaning, I mingled well and managed to come out of the corner!
- when I got the book "I Kissed a Zombie and I Liked It!" brought to the swap by Sydney Salter.
- when James Dashner got the book "The Baby Manual" from the book swap!
- when I see so many supportive spouses having fun along with their fanatic blogging partner
- when I see so many supportive authors coming to hang out with fanatic bloggers!
Lowlights (because there's always some!):
- when I got a text from home saying my 11 year old had locked my 18 year old in the basement because she wanted her to stay home to play, and not go out with friends
- when I was too uptight to eat anything!
- when I came home and saw all the goofy pictures that were taken of me (did I ever say how much I hate myself in pictures?) and being posted all over
- when I came home and realized how many people I didn't get a chance to talk to, including many of the authors who came
- when the night ended too fast (even though we were there for three hours)
- when my friend, who I was so happy to have coming, texted and said she was too too sick to make it.
- when there were so many other blogger friends that couldn't make and who I truly missed talking to!
Thanks to everyone who came! I thought it was a blast and truly look forward to the next time. I hope those who couldn't come this time will be able to make it then. I tried to mention and link to at least everyone I talked to and met last night. If I missed you PLEASE let me know and I'll fix it. And if you are a Utah book blogger or author and you are thinking "Ummm hello, I'm in Utah, why wasn't I invited?" then also PLEASE let me know and we'll get you on The List. (It's getting big enough now that there's no way we can find everyone on our own and need everyone's help to make sure all those interested are included.)
Happy blogging to you all!