Monday, April 21, 2008

Where I've Been and What I've Read

Where I've Been:






What I've Read:
Book: Looking For Alaska by John Green
Rating: B+
Genre: YA

I had to read this one when I saw it there at the library, just to see what all the controversy was about. I've fallen love with this author and his brother through their video blogs, and so I had to see what I thought about this book. And yes, I would have to agree that there is some very controversial stuff discussed in this book, and some pretty harsh language used. I think I won't be recommending it to my daughter. Yet... at the same time, it is very touching and poignant (don't you love that word!) and I loved the main character and wanted all the best for him.

Quick story summary: it's about this kid who is new at a pretty posh boarding school. He makes some interesting friends, one of them being a girl named Alaska. They pride themselves on being very smart, both in school work, and in tricking the headmaster guy with their sneaking in of banned substances, and in seeing who can pull off the best pranks every year. But this year, something goes wrong!

Book: Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Rating: A
Genre: YA Fantasy

I've wanted to read this book ever since I saw the movie and loved it. Interestingly enough, the movie adds some details that the book doesn't have... usually it's the other way around isn't it? Anyway, I loved the book too. It's a wonderful fantasty that uses all elements of the genre: cool magic, creepy villians, lovable hero, spunky heroine, etc. It has it all!

Book: Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
Rating: A
Genre: YA Romance

I've heard of Sarah Dessen forever, but never read one of her books. So, finally, I got to one! This story reminded me a lot of Speak by Laurie Halse Andersen if you've read that. There's a lot about the love of music in here, which I enjoyed. There's an unlikely hero and quite the awful ex-friend of our main character. It's one of your typical high school drama books that I just for some reason really enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! The pics of your trip are amazing! Looks like a lot of fun, can't wait to hear the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you had a good time, and the pictures are great. I have another contest up for this week, get your entry in by April 25.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails