Thursday, December 13, 2007

Booking Through Thursday: Catalog




Do you use any of the online book-cataloguing sites, like Library Thing or Shelfari? Why or why not? (Or . . . do you have absolutely no idea what I’m talking to?? (grin))
If not an online catalog, do you use any other method to catalog your book collection? Excel spreadsheets, index cards, a notebook, anything?


I started using one a long time ago called Bibliophil. But then I gave up, and then everyone started using these other things, then I feel like I have to start all over if I want to join in with everyone, then I get overwhelmed..... so then I do nothing! So... at this point, I'm not keeping track of my books anywhere, though it does look fun and I'm always tempted.


I don't keep track any other way either! No database, no cards, no notebook! It's all in my head, and I'm starting to run out of memory space up there! I especially notice this at this time of year when I'm getting books for the kids and I can't remember if we have it already! But I love it when my kids will need something for school, or they bring home a list of possible book choices, and I can go down the list and say, "Yep, have that one! Yep, that one....that one... nope not that one... yep, that one!" But some day maybe they could get on the computer and just see what we have in our own personal library on their own! Yep, some day!

4 comments:

  1. I used to know almost exactly where on the shelf any book was, it never took me long to find anything. Trouble is, as I get older my memory isn't so good, and now I sometimes even forget whether I actually have a copy, let alone where it might be found! So I'm a pretty enthusiastic Library Thing user, though I still have 100s of books to catalogue (lots pre-ISBN).

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I found Library Thing last year, I went ahead and purchased the life-time subscription. Figured I would use it!! I'm gradually adding my books. But with the amount I have, it could take a while!!

    Happy Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no i don't have any way to keep track of books except with memory or by sheer luck...though i do have an All Consuming list...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to know where everything was but after so many moves I had to start cataloging things. Happy BTT.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails