Sunday, August 9, 2020

Book Review: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins

Book: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins
Genre: YA dystopian
Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★



At first I didn't think I'd want to read this one, but then everyone started raving about it, and I thought perhaps I'd need to give it a chance. So I ended up buying it and my daughter devoured it, and needed to discuss it, so then it was my turn!

As everyone probably knows by now, this is the back story of President Snow. It takes place when he is 18 and a senior in high school. The 10th Hunger Games are about to happen and they've decided to add a couple of new twists to the game. First, they are having mentors and they've chosen the top students to mentor the tributes. Of course our guy is chosen to mentor the tribute from District 12, a girl named Lucy Gray Baird. 

They've also decided to add the element of betting on a winning and being able to sponsor your choice. This makes it so many many more people become invested and are watching, which is the whole point of these things. And it was our Snow boy's idea. 

The games look a lot different back then then they do in Katniss's time though, and it's interesting to compare. Still it's very very ruthless, and this book has many extremely violent moments. Wow. 

Anyway, it's interesting to see his struggle with who he should be. I worried I would end up with too much sympathy for him, but it was just the right amount, you know? Like it was there, it was good to see where he came from, what he was dealing with, and yet, because of his choices, I am still not his fan. And I am not sad knowing what happens to him in the end. 

But, in the end there, it was strange how fast he made a choice and flipped. Like it seemed so sudden. Anyone else who's read this feel this way? Even though it was expected, and we were all waiting for it, I was like.. WHOA dude! So quick with that! AHH!!!

It was especially fun to speculate after reading this and learning about all these characters from the past, who was connected to whom. And how everything fits in and becomes full circle. So awesome.

I'm really glad to have decided to read it! It feels like part of the story that we need to know now. Do it if you are still on the fence about it. Do it!





2 comments:

  1. I don't think that I have seen many positive reviews of this book, so I was interested to see that you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! Most people I know who've read it seem to like it. But I imagine there's quite a few who don't.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails