Sunday, January 29, 2017

Kdrama Review: The Legend of the Blue Sea

Drama: The Legend of the Blue Sea
Genre: historical/fantasy/romantic comedy
Starring: Lee Min Ho, Jun Ji Hyun
Rating:  ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

I looked forward to this one coming out months before it arrived. Yes, I've come to that point of anticipating the new dramas vs. catching up on the old ones. So I watched this one as it aired.. meaning.. it airs in Korea.. then the next day it's being frantically subtitled and then put up on our drama viewing sites (or site it this case as it was a Vike Exclusive.)

Two episodes a week, for about a month and a half. That's how it's done in Korea. And then it's over. So different from here!

And it ended this past week and I'm so so sad. I looked forward to those episodes every week like... like... I don't know what.... candy? Ice cream? Air?

Yes, it stars my favorite guy... Lee Min Ho. He's a con artist and when he's in... I think it was Spain... doing a job, or something, I don't know what... a mermaid comes to shore and ends up camping in his apartment. And so, after being annoyed at her at first, he comes to find her oddly endearing, of course. (He doesn't know she's a mermaid or anything, just that she's... oddly endearing.) And they hit it off.... but then... something happens (I don't want to totally spoil this part, as if any of you will actually watch it! Ha!)  and it all ends.

The con artist look.

He goes back to Korea.

She swims the ocean and follows him.

And so it begins again in Korea.

This time, with much more interesting results. Ah... it's the best. It really is. And it's not just about the love story, but about some other crap that ties LMH (his character is called Joon Jae) with some shady goings on due to his dumb step mom.... and some awful dude that she has employed to do bad things.

Oh, and then there's the whole flash back story to an earlier time period... where the characters are having the same sort of experience as our present characters. In other words... they are characters from the pats that have been reincarnated. Sweet.

The perfect boyfriend look.

But, as usual, I mostly loved the love story. The side kicks (of which there are many), the funny situational comedy, the sweet and perfect sappiness, and especially Lee Min Ho, who I somehow cannot get enough of.

And sadly, this might be it for awhile as it's time for him to go off and serve is country! Ah.. the dreaded military service!

Here's a trailer for just the first episode when they first meet in Spain:





And here's what it was like when she finds him in Korea bit a later:



And one with a song. There are so many it's hard to choose, but here you go:

 

Well. Anyway. Let's just say: I LOVED THIS ONE!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I need to finish watching this one. But, I have so many things I'm trying to get caught up on already! I wish I had more time in the day, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like another fun one. They're always a bit ridiculous, though. I guess you get used to it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really cute! I'll have to watch it sometime. I haven't seen him in any dramas yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one I decided to wait until it was finished airing before starting. Hoping to get to it soon. I'm glad to know you enjoyed it! It looks pretty fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails