One week down, three to go! It's been a fun week of writing. It started out slow and I felt my story was so so boring, trying to establish character and setting and all that, but the past three days of writing it feels like it has really picked up. I feel excited to go where I think ('cause you never really know!) it's going and I can't wait to get there! This is the adrenaline of Nano that I keep talking about, the addictive nature of it. That feeling of anticipation to see if what's in your head pans out. And how.
I've had a few new thoughts about my story after starting that I'm excited... well nervous... about too. I think this time around I'm being much braver, and that's such a good thing I'm noticing! I don't know, I guess we'll see.
So, after a week I'm at 15,805 words, which is a little head of the game. That's because I know there will be crazy non-writing days to come and I really want to be ahead when those hit! I haven't written anything yet today, so here's hoping by the end of today we'll be about 2000 more, which seems to be my daily average-ish. Only today might turn out to be one of those crazy days before it's over.
What I'm loving so far about this current writing experience:
- writing in present tense. I feel more... um... present! :)
- having my characters be different, like not exactly what we'd expect to see here in this world.
- having the world be different, though sometimes that's hard because my imagination is crap
- having a better idea of where this is going, and that's only because it's a retelling so I have the outline of the original story to go by!
- having my sister participating with me fairly consistently. We chat while writing and moan and worry and sprint and bounce ideas around. It's lovely. Here's hoping she stays with me for yet another week! And another. And another.
- having my family "get it" a little better this time around because they've actually seen a printed up visual of the story from two years ago. I think that makes a huge difference, to actually see that... oh, cool...you really WERE writing something!
- figuring out a music playlist as I go. Why is that so much fun?
- having so many published authors, and favorite authors participating. I know they have in the past, but it seems more this time. Anyway, to compare my daily word count with Brandon Sanderson's (so far about the same!) makes me smile. (To have him working on Stormlight 3 makes me smile even bigger.)
- feeling a little braver and a little less restrained in the writing and truly noticing an improvement. This is the best thing of all. Here's hoping it's not all in my <crappy> imagination!
I can't wait to keep going! Are you writing? How did your first week go? Are you still excited about your story? Let me know!!
(P.S. If we aren't buddies on the Nano page... find me: SueySays. Also, if you are interested, I pushed the public button on my new writing website. Still not sure how to make the transition with writing related posts, as you can see I wanted to reach more people and post it here, (and I'll probably cross post this one there) but we'll get there maybe. If you click over, let me know what you think. I'd love feedback!)